Luau

Aloha... just want to add my 2 cents into the mix. I have and cook a lot using woks, I have several sizes; stovetop to 2 lg. 32" dia monsters. Get the woks nice and hot, almost to smoking, then start cooking. This prevents the rice and the other ingredients from sticking to the wok. My grandfather and my mom had a catering business in Hawaii where I learned how to cook on woks some 60 years ago.

joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Get the woks nice and hot, almost to smoking, then start cooking. This prevents the rice and the other ingredients from sticking to the wok. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

probably good advice, however I have an electric, glass top range
icon_frown.gif

I'm getting good at woking outdoors, but I don't have a wok large enough to accommodate a batch this size.

Up to the usual standard Mr. Biesinger! Fantastic.

BTW - the huli huli rib recipe is in Raichlen's book titled Ribs, Ribs, Ribs.

Yet another amazing post Jeff. When does your TV show start? I hope you have time to cater my birthday party first!

Steve Raichlen's Huli Huli Ribs from Ribs Ribs Outrageous Ribs

rub:
1 T coarse salt
1 T sugar
1 t black pepper
1 t ground ginger
1 t garlic powder
1 t chives

2 T sesame oil

bush ribs with oil and spread on rub

Glaze:

2 cups pineapple juice
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup lime juice
2 T Thai chile sauce
2 cloves garlic
2 slices ginger
2 scallions

reduce pineapple juice by half, add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 min or until thick and sticky

We also have an electric glass cooktop stove and use a wok on it with great success. It does get hot enough to use a wok. Make fried rice, stir fried dishes on it all the time, true it won't get hot instataneously as on an open flame but it does work.

Than again if you work your wok on a kettle you will easily have enough heat to set the oil on fire.

I have one of the discontinued Weber SS woks. It's full coverage for a standard kettle. You set up ring of fuel to your requirements/experience.

First time I loaded too much fuel and did just that ignited the canola.

It's my go to when I need to do a larger batch than I would typically do on my gas range top.

I can do stir fry rice or any by using one of the two systems. My favorite is the Weber of course
icon_smile.gif

If/when I do my kitchen over again I already have ideas on the gas range I will be using.

Folks the recipe Jay mentions is the book I referenced. I was just trying to help him find his
icon_smile.gif
It's actually a good one specific to rib recipes/ideas. Ribs, Ribs, Ribs

Jay - I want to be on the list for the first edition of your book and want a signed copy!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">probably good advice, however I have an electric, glass top range </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
J,

I agree with Joe Abad above. I also have glass top range and my woks (I have two) get hot enough with the burner set to a "7". If I go higher, the whole house smkoes up. The key is to find a wok with a flat bottom. I used a steel straight edge when I shopped and finally found ones with flat bottoms.
My Scanpan wok is the best - heavy enough, flat botton, and 14 1/2 inch diameter. It is about $200 from Amazon but well worth it.

BTW, every Scanpan wok I tested in stores was flat - I purchased from Amazon due to better price.

Ray

Back