Looking for suggestions on cleaning carbon build-up from Weber Genesis

JimSt

DSC_0263_zps8a44cf3b.jpg

I'm restoring a Genesis 1000 and am working on the interior of the hood. It has quite a bit of carbon build up, I've been using steel wool, but not getting very far with the heavy build up. I've seen some restore jobs where people are getting the carbon completely removed. I wanted to avoid oven cleaners such as Easy Off as they don't seem to be recommended for interiors of BBQ's. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as what has worked for them ?

I don't know if I would worry about it too much. Scrape off the loose carbon and grease/sludge with your grill brush or the steel wool and rinse with your hose. Let it air dry for a bit then re-assemble and fire it up and leave it on high for 20 mins to completely dry out. My Silver Genesis is 12 yrs old and it looks similar; I do what this every spring then fall I do the same sans the water rinse.

How are the gas tubes? You may need to scrape them or dis-assemble and clean the inside out. Spiders love to crawl into the gas tubes which disrupts the flow.

Are you trying to make it pretty to sell? It's not a beauty contest...

I don't know if I would worry about it too much. Scrape off the loose carbon and grease/sludge with your grill brush or the steel wool.
Yeah, that. I just knock off the big stuff with the grill brush/scraper and carry on.

Back