Looking for Mac OS X and Stoker users

Joe Keenan

TVWBB Fan
My Stoker monitoring program for Mac OS X is about ready for beta test. If you're a Mac OS X user, and are interested in trying it out, please let me know. The only caveat is that I'm using the JSON interface that was introduced in Stoker firmware version 2.6.0.226. You'll need to be running at least that version.

Also, can anyone suggest any other BBQ forums that Stoker users frequent? I'd like to spread the word as wide as possible.

Thanks!

joe

Here's a screen shot of the current UI. I'm not doing a smoke today, so this is simulated data being shown.

stokerx.jpg

joe

Hmm. Are PMs (Private Messages) allowed on this board? I need to get email addresses for beta testers, but I don't like asking people to post them on open forums.

joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Keenan:
Hmm. Are PMs (Private Messages) allowed on this board? I need to get email addresses for beta testers, but I don't like asking people to post them on open forums.

joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah. I see by another post that PMs are not enabled. That's too bad.

joe

Here is a perl module that connects to the Stoker and returns JSON (similar to the beta version) formatted readings.

stoker module

If you don't have perl, the regular expression may be useful.

Curt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Curt Timmerman:
Here is a perl module that connects to the Stoker and returns JSON (similar to the beta version) formatted readings.

stoker module

If you don't have perl, the regular expression may be useful.

Curt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting question. Is the beta really beta? What's installed on new units these days?

joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Keenan:
Interesting question. Is the beta really beta? What's installed on new units these days?
joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure. When I ordered my Stoker I ask for the version the supported JSON (beta) - came with the standard release :-(

This is the result of development funnelled through 1 person in a proprietary environment.

The Stoker is an excellent product with terrific support. Amir is very capable and bends over backwards to help everyone with stokerlog problems. It seems to me a 'community-ware' approach under Amir would serve the end users better.

Curt

I got my Stoker last Tuesday and here is the version from the top of its webpage:
Stoker Status
Powered by Rock's Bar-B-Que
Software by kaytat, Version 2.6.0.254

On kaytat.com it says that version was released to beta on August 20, but farther down the page it says that the latest official release is 2.1.something. They probably started shipping the new code because of the twitter problem.

Nice looking interface Joe. Too bad it only runs on MacOSX.
icon_frown.gif

Curt, I do not want to hijack Joe's thread, so please come over to the "Stoker monitoring with open software and/or Linux" thread.

I do need some help with perl and JSON. I borrowed a piece of code to parse and print the json record to stdout and have been playing with it. I also figured out how to use gnuplot to plot data from a csv file. Problem is JSON is not csv, and the probes do not even get reported in the same order on each call.

WOW! And it worked right out of the box, er Zip file!

I only used one probe and one fan, not on a real cook. This was through wireless as well.

Looks good. If you want suggestions, let me know.

I love this! I love stokerlog but hate having to use two laptops to run it! Sure there is parallels, but it still has some issues.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Garcia:
What's it take to make an App for Ipad and Iphone?
Thanks
Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty much the same code I'm using now. I thought about an iOS version, but I'm not really sure how well that would work.

To get a real history of the session (like StokerLog or my StokerX), the application needs to be running all the time, collecting data from the Stoker. With an iOS device, you can't really do that. You wouldn't want to have to keep it as the foreground app, and APIs that Apple makes available for background processing aren't really suitable for long term data collection.

Now, if what you're really looking for is something that will give you the current status of the Stoker (like the web interface, but a nicer UI), that's really easy to do.

joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by james brosche:
WOW! And it worked right out of the box, er Zip file!

I only used one probe and one fan, not on a real cook. This was through wireless as well.

Looks good. If you want suggestions, let me know.

I love this! I love stokerlog but hate having to use two laptops to run it! Sure there is parallels, but it still has some issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry I'm so far behind on this thread. Please see the README file in the (updated) zip file on Dropbox for my email for bug reports and suggestions.

Thanks!

joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by james brosche:
Using one probe it is showing duplicate probes. All readings exactly the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm. Just one control probe and no food probe? I guess I didn't test for that configuration.

joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Murray Wilson:
joe can you send me some info on this, I am very interested. You can use the contact info at tpscorp(dot)com </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried that email, didn't work. Please download the current test version from DropBox (see above). My email is in the README.

joe

Back