Looking for books

ColinP

Have a WSM, and have used it several times with great success, but want to do more.

With Christmas approaching, I am looking for a recommendation for a good book on smoking, with rub recipes, smoking hints, maybe sauces, etc.

I am NOT interested in 'wild' experiments at the moment, like making bacon or sausage. I want to master the basics first: pork butt, ribs, and possibly brisket.

Thanks in advance.

Smoke and Spice is a great go to book. I did the smoke shrimp and scallops, but cut down on the pepper in the rub and they were a big hit.

It also has all the classics (briskit, butt, ribs, etc.)

Sure you could read a few books, but this site is where you will learn what to do.

This site will give you more hands-on info than any book will.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sure you could read a few books, but this site is where you will learn what to do.

This site will give you more hands-on info than any book will. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't really found anything that gets into the nuts and bolts of bbq. Most books are a bunch of recipes with a modest intro that runs down types of smokers, hardwoods, etc.

Alton Brown has a good book that will help you understand the basics of cooking meat and the info applies directly to bbq and grilling.

but to really get better at bbq, you need to practice and to bounce your successes and failures off of the guys here to verify what you did.

I like Smoke and Spice too, but most everything I've learned about BBQ has been from the folks on this site.

Colin
Have you looked into the Weber books by Jamie Proviance? I really like them as they are writtne for the Weber products.

I have several BBQ books, but most of what I have learned has came from forums such as this. In fact, since I own a WSM, most of what I have learned has come from this site.

Weldon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sure you could read a few books, but this site is where you will learn what to do.

This site will give you more hands-on info than any book will. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't really found anything that gets into the nuts and bolts of bbq. Most books are a bunch of recipes with a modest intro that runs down types of smokers, hardwoods, etc.

Alton Brown has a good book that will help you understand the basics of cooking meat and the info applies directly to bbq and grilling.

but to really get better at bbq, you need to practice and to bounce your successes and failures off of the guys here to verify what you did. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not read Alton Brown's book, but I like the Guy. He's all about the science, unlike a lot of the BBQ Guru's who (although they may be great cooks) will speak a lot of myth. If Alton Brown says it's so...then it's so
icon_wink.gif

Weldon

I just ordered Low & Slow: Master the Art of Barbecue in 5 Easy Lessons by Gary Wiviott and Smoke & Spice: Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue by Bill Jamison and Cheryl Alters Jamison from Amazon, I'll let you know how I liked them.

Back