Looking for advise on 22 otg vs 26.75 kettle?

Garvin R

TVWBB Super Fan
Need some help on which kettle to get, saw a OTG at Ace hardware in Crimson red and started drooling! Went to Amazon from this site and saw the 26.75 kettle, well now I'm torn between the two. I read once that you can cook a small meal in a large pot but you can't cook a large meal in a small pot, will this apply here with these two kettles. Any info would be greatly welcome.

Thanks'

Just my 2 cents but if the price is not an issue, definitely get the 26. If I could afford on I would have the 26. They never show up on Craigslist in my area. Good Luck.

Other than my Smokey Joe I use my kettles mostly for indirect cooking. If I'm cooking over 300 degrees, which is most of the time, I'm pulling out my kettles. Get the 22, and get use to setting it up and keeping the temperature you're looking for. It's easy to do on both, but I think the 22 is a little easier to manage. No doubt the 26 is an amazing beast, but I've found that for normal cooks I'm grabbing my 22.

I know there's going to be an argument over this question, but just remember this, when you get one you're going to like what you get.

I run out of grill space on my 22 when I hit about 10 burgers. Yeah, you can jam more on there, but they get hard to flip and move around. I'd go bigger if I had the space.

I wonder if I could mod a 26 on to my performer table and gas ignition.... Ah screw it, I just want a summit.

I have two performers so I really have all the grill space I need. I do a lot of indirect cooking and I do run out of space on the performer pretty fast, but the only way I would give up the performers is if the 26 came as a performer with the gas ignition and the table.

I have two performers (one is crimson) and I also have a copper OTG. But the kettle that get 80% of the cooks is the 26er. It is so much easier to indirect with a bunch of chicken.

The biggest advantage of the 26inch kettle I can see is more area for indirect cooking. If you have a big family that may be the way to go. For now I can get by with the 22 inch kettle for most cooks. When my kids get bigger my grill may have to get bigger also.

I'd get the 26! I do a lot of indirect cooking I run out of space and end up needing to fire the 18 as well. One kettle to manage is easier than two. I've been at this a long time and it's not hard to manage two but, given the choice I'd go big if I could do it all over again.

More square inches = more fun !!!

Definitely!

4D3301EC-A7F7-4DEB-A3B5-6625B43BE441_zpsgxcbhv4o.jpg

Thank you everyone who responded to the question. Was going to get the 22 red otg today, but by chance I had to go to the bank which is right next door to a local Pfeil hardware store and in there was a 22 kettle silver posted for 79.00. Walked out after taxes 85.32 later with a big smile on my face!

Happy with purchase and will make due with wind issues as the arise, again thanks for the feed back!!

Great result. Very satisfying when you get a bargain like that.

See how you get on and if you need something larger another opportunity will come along if you are patient.

Thank you everyone who responded to the question. Was going to get the 22 red otg today, but by chance I had to go to the bank which is right next door to a local Pfeil hardware store and in there was a 22 kettle silver posted for 79.00. Walked out after taxes 85.32 later with a big smile on my face!

Happy with purchase and will make due with wind issues as the arise, again thanks for the feed back!!
Have a wonderful time!

If I need more room than just one 22" kettle, I roll the other 22 next to it and cook on them side by side. The 26 is nice to look at
but the 22's work just fine for me.

Back