Longest Brisket Cook

Bobby-Blckrhno

Hello,

What’s the longest you’ve smoked a brisket? Brisket weight. Wood used. Temperature brisket pulled from cooker. Issues if any. Final out come. Would you do any thing different? Time of year and climate. Would you smoke a brisket that long again? Pros and Cons. Occasion.

Just curious.

Thanks

Bobby
SF Bay Area/Sacramento

Time is more a function of temperature used than anything else. I tried 225 f one time and it took 21 hours. 14 lb-15 lb brisket.

I prefer 9-12 hours at 275 F

Can't say I recall it being any better or any worse just it took a damn long time. Quite possible at that temperature that the brisket saw was actually less even than my probe 2" away on grate showed.... And that's why it took so long. I do think I even kicked it up to 235 or 245 to get it to finally hit 203 at end.

Last edited:
I've had cooks take up to 18 hours at 225 with maybe a 15 pound brisket. I cook 250 to 275 and even up to 300 depending on where I am during the cook on my offset. On the WSM 250 works well. 275 works well too. I don't typically go much beyond that. On the offset it seems to take about 12 hours. Cooking at lower temps tends to do a worse job at rendering the fat, I find.

On my Recteq RT1250 I have had brisket cooks in the 20-21 hour range. I typically run 180F overnight for max smoke then next morning bump it up to 225F so the low initial temperature prolongs the cook. No expert.

Interesting that this came up today.
Just did a 19# packer and it was 20 hours weather was cold and a bit breezy. I used the insulated jacket and the windscreen, temperature was mostly 250-275 one spike to 285. I got little sleep on this one, the last was pretty much a “set and forget” cook, this one fought me.

22lbs, on my Pitboss pellet smoker,22 hrs at 225. it was good but not enough better to stop me from cranking up the temp next time.

While I spent an eternity trying my hardest to smoke at 235 or so and having a stressful time I no longer do this.
Doing a pork shoulder gives you some hope, you can basically do anything to them and they turn out great.
But making chuck roasts and items like that gave me more inspiration.....I aim for 260 to 275....once you get there a good smoker will hang on to that temp without much change in temps. This produces food including brisket that have excellent results.

While I spent an eternity trying my hardest to smoke at 235 or so and having a stressful time I no longer do this.
Doing a pork shoulder gives you some hope, you can basically do anything to them and they turn out great.
But making chuck roasts and items like that gave me more inspiration.....I aim for 260 to 275....once you get there a good smoker will hang on to that temp without much change in temps. This produces food including brisket that have excellent results.
I agree, the 225-235 zone makes for an aggravatingly long cook, I’m good with the 275-285 range, less stressful cook, a little less time but, sometimes it’s just hard to be patient!

My PB goes from 250-300, I will smoke low temps then go to 250, had thought about a upgrade for the controller but they never responded to
a temp question, my next wont be same brand

Back