Long Live the Naked Fatty

Alan F

TVWBB Pro
For some reason I never tried a naked fatty before. Made one today, a plain jimmy dean sausage chub, smoked at 300 with pecan wood, up to 180. Wow! How is something so simple so good? Great plain or with a touch of mustard. If you haven't tried it, you should. :cool:

I have long been a fan of the naked fatty. Jimmy Dean is my choice of available sausage chubs. Bob Evans is good, too. I did my first naked fatty on my 22.5" OTG (indirect) with Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce. Absolutely excellent fare! My next one will be with my 18.5 WSM. A feller ought to do several at once, then freeze the extras to pull them out of the freezer as needed...

Dale53

Jimmy Dean would be proud! A nice addition is to surround the the fatty with hardboiled eggs. Then devil the smoked eggs. Breakfast...........

fancy fatties just doesn't appeal to me plus its just to much trouble. but to each his own. therefore all my fatties are naked. maybe some rub and some smoke and thats it.
but i have to say that i didn't like the ones i took to 180. i have now gone back to 160 and find them much tastier and moist. but again if you want to render the fat then 180 will do it. and for sure, any fattie is a good fattie. and yes, i stock up when on a good sale.

You can find all sorts of sausage recipes and make your own fatties from scratch. The other option Alan is to opt for a leaner grind of pork. Up here Costco ground pork is 17% fat so it's really lean by comparision. A lot of commercial sausage is 30-40% and more. We don't get Jimmy Dean up here so I don't know what the fat content is. Pork butt ground is around 25% and will produce an excellent sausage or a fatty if you decide to make your own. You can cut back on the salt too by doing your own.
I'm with you on the naked fatty, there can be enough flavor in the seasoning that I like just pure meat...well a bacon weave on top gives pretty awesome effect too but then I wind up giving most of it away because now there is too much fat in the fatty:)

Back