London Broil

Dan J

I've never made london broil on WSM or grill. I plan on making two 2.5 lb peices tomorrow. Any advice? I would like to use a montreal rub since I really liked it on rib roast. I was thinking of using WSM at about 325 or perhaps 275 then searing it over open flame at the end...but really not sure on this one.

Thanks!

Larry Wolfe should be along shortly. he does more london broils than anyone in the world
icon_biggrin.gif

i myself treat them like a big sirloin.i either use a steak rub or a marinade and grill them direct .anything higher than medium rare makes them too tough in my opinion.

Tony C says:
i myself treat them like a big sirloin.i either use a steak rub or a marinade and grill them direct .anything higher than medium rare makes them too tough in my opinion.

Yeah Tony but as long as the Sirloin isn't still Mooooo-ing
icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers

Davo

What cut are you using for your LB? Not marinating I take it, right?

Searing to finish is preferable, imo, but I avoid an 'open flame'.

Top round and flank are typically labeled as London broil. I cook the top round using a reverse sear method by cooking indirect in the 240º-265º range until the internal temperature hits around 100º-110º and then crank the heat and finish with a quick sear and pull at 125º and then rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing. The reverse sear method will give you a more uniform doneness throughout the meat, versus rare center with grey edges. I feel it also gives a more tender and juicy finished product versus the conventional sear then finish indirect method. HERE's a sample of a recent cook.

Hey Larry-

I don't know exactly what I'm asking, but around here I often see flank steak that's cut almost as thin as skirt steak, just like I'd use for fajitas. I've drooled at several of your pics of "London Broil". Most of those pics seem to show slices of a thicker cut of beef, but then again I remember back in the 80s my dad saying that "London Broil" was fajitas.

I'd love to cook a cut of beef like the pics I've seen from you, but I know the names can be all over the board. Should I just ask for London Broil at the meat counter (God help me!
icon_smile.gif
), or is there a more specific cut I can ask for?

Thanks man!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Benny L.:
Hey Larry-

I don't know exactly what I'm asking, but around here I often see flank steak that's cut almost as thin as skirt steak, just like I'd use for fajitas. I've drooled at several of your pics of "London Broil". Most of those pics seem to show slices of a thicker cut of beef, but then again I remember back in the 80s my dad saying that "London Broil" was fajitas.

I'd love to cook a cut of beef like the pics I've seen from you, but I know the names can be all over the board. Should I just ask for London Broil at the meat counter (God help me!
icon_smile.gif
), or is there a more specific cut I can ask for?

Thanks man! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Benny, thanks. London Broil is a Cooking Method - not a cut of beef. LB can be made using top round roast or flank, (flank is what is used for fajitas). 'London broil' means to marinate a flank steak or top round steak and either broil or grill.

The cut I like to use for is a 'top round roast' in the 2-4lb range, the thicker the better IMO. So ask your butcher or meat department for a top round roast, it should look like a big steak.

Thanks everyone - I think I'll try to do what Larry suggests and see how things go.

I had thought of marinading overnight in some wine, but we ended up drinking it..
icon_smile.gif
So I'll just coat it with Montreal this time.

Back