Loin backs - Sam's or Costco experience?

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
I need to do a large cook of baby back ribs and will be picking up a case at Sam's or Costco. I normally make spares, so I'm not familiar with the quality / pricing of either store for the baby backs. Just looking for feedback on the ribs at both stores.

Thanks

I smoked Costco's loin back ribs this weekend. I used the technique from the "best ribs in the universe" article and they turned out delicious.

I buy my spares and loins from Sam's. I have not had one problem in 10 years with the meat quality. Maybe I am lucky but I also use the pk method of buying ribs. I buy the most expensive 3 pack I can find.

My local Costco carries Swift brand BB's, 3 to a pack, $3.49 or so if I remember correctly. I've had only one bad experience (clearly bad smell upon opening). I now get all my pork from Gratiot market in downtown Detroit, very fresh, great prices for those in the area.

The odor Don mentioned happens sometimes with cryovac wrapped meats. I've never had a problem.

I buy the three pack baby-backs from Costco, and have had no complaints over several years. As an added bonus, the last couple of times the racks have had the membrane removed.

Thanks guys. I think I'll stop by Costco this weekend and pick some up there. I need to pick up some baby stuff there so I can save an extra trip to Sams. Membranes removed sounds great, but I won't hold my breath.

I've been a bit disappointed in the quality of my baby backs from Sam's lately. I can see the bone coming through the meat on the top rack in pretty much every package in the case. When I get home and get them out of the package, I can actually feel the top of the bone. I expect at least some meat on top of them.

I used costco ribs for my first smoker a few months back. I thought the membrane was taken off, but someone told me afterwards that it was still on. Does costco vary with the membrane being on or off?

Back