Lockdown barbecue plans

J Hasselberger

TVWBB Pro
The hunkering down has brought meal planning to a new level. It's just the two of us, but the temptation to barbecue enough meat to get us through until May was too much to resist. I got a 13-pound packer (last one at the store), an 8-pound butt and a 4-pound corned beef (for pastrami). So far, I've only smoked the brisket. First two nights, we had fatty brisket heaven with different sides. I took 3 pounds and made a couple of gallons of smoked brisket chili. I froze several one-gallon freezer bags so they are like 12x12x1-inch planks. I saved several brisket hunks that I chop up as needed for brisket tacos. So far, we've had a nice brisket treat for either lunch or dinner, just about every day. Still have a lot of chili, although the rest is pretty much gone. Time to think of a plan for the butt.

Jeff

The brisket fresh out of the WSM, fat side down for the duration, no wrap.
Lockdown brisket by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

Brisket chili. Your favorite chili recipe with chopped brisket in place of the meat. (Tip: add one 12 oz. can of V-8)
Brisket chili by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

Brisket taco before the cheese and jalapeños. Chop up some leftover brisket and heat in a sauce pan with about a teaspoon of beef broth and a couple of tablespoons of your favorite sauce. In addition to the Franklin Espresso, I used some local chipotle bacon sauce.
Brisket taco by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

When I make chili, I've been using most of a pint of a homebrew sweet stout (along with the obligatory smoked brisket.) I'm gonna have to think about the V8, probably the spicy variety.

And that brisket taco looks just outstanding.

When I make chili, I've been using most of a pint of a homebrew sweet stout (along with the obligatory smoked brisket.) I'm gonna have to think about the V8, probably the spicy variety.

And that brisket taco looks just outstanding.

I used poblanos, jalapeños, and reconstituted guajillos in the chili, so the spice level was up there. I went with original V8, but I'd be interested to hear about how the spicy works. Wine instead of water and a couple of teaspoons of cinnamon added a pleasant layer. The beauty of chili is that almost any color on the pallette works.

That Franklin expresso sauce is money. A judicious dose of your favorite will work well. I keep the leftover as a hunk in the fridge and chop it as needed. I'm surprised at how nice and moist it reheats with just a dab of beef broth.

Back