local chicken on the WSM

Dan Godwin

TVWBB Member
This week I discovered a local meat market that sells locally raised and butchered meats that are USDA inspected. I stopped in on Monday and purchased some chuck eye steaks and a pork steak. My wife and I were so impressed with the quality that I stopped back on Thursday to stock up for the rest of the week. Prices are comparable and sometimes cheaper (depending on the cut) than Wegman’s and the other local grocery stores. My wife and I are menu planning so we can stop once a week.

Last night I smoked 2 chickens on the WSM. As my wife was working late, it was a guy’s night.

I started the chicken before picking up my little one from day care. I spatchcocked the chicken and Rosemary was tucked underneath the skin, with a little oil rubbed on the top of the skin, along with salt and pepper.

2.jpg

The finished product, just before taking it off the smoker.

3.jpg

I made some simple sides, Green beans and Garlic, Mashed Potatoes, Stove Top, and Baked Beans. Here was my son’s plate.

6.JPG

and my plate:

4.JPG

The night’s entertainment:

5.JPG

and my 3 year old son enjoying dinner and a movie:

1.jpg

The left over chicken has been shredded for chicken tacos for lunch today, and the carcasses are in the stock pot for chicken and rice soup for later today or tomorrow. For rest of the week, flank steak will be turned into fajitas, and more chuck eye’s will hit the grill at some point between now and Wednesday.

Great looking chicken. I wish I could find a meat place like that near me...I'd be all over it. Great post . Thanks for sharing. Love to see the happy family.

Love your little souschef! Chicken looks devine! Another movie tip for the little one is Turbo. :)

Good job on the cook and especially finding the market.

Your little one really looks to be enjoying Monsters Inc. :)

Back