Little mistake on the cook today

Thomas B.

TVWBB Member
I smoked a brisket flat overnight, which went fine, and I've currently got 3 slabs of loin backs in the WSM. They've been on for about 3.5hrs total, and I just foiled them about 30mins. ago. But I've just realized that I forgot to peel the membrane off the slabs before cooking, does it make a big difference? Will they just be tougher to pull apart, or will they be OK?

They will probably be a little tougher. Most restaurants don't take the membrane off. Time is money and they don't take the time to remove membranes (unless its a top quality restaurant).

They should be fine.

Thanks for the reply, I was just worried that they'd be really chewy with the membrane still on them or something, as I've always removed it in the past.

If you haven't eaten them yet, I guy told me at a contest this weekend that some teams pull it off after the cook. So you may want to try that!

Enjoy the ribs!

Something went wrong on my BRITU cook today too. Had to leave for a while this morning, and I returned to find my temp at 184. Yikes.

I opened up the vents, but guests were coming at 1pm. So I improvised . . . I fired up the gaser to about 320 and moved the slabs over to there. I made vinegar mop with some garlic and cayenne and kept them moist. They came off about 1:30pm, got some sauce, and they were delicious. Could have used another 30 minutes to really fall off the bone, but we were hungry. 7 adults and 5 kids at 3 slabs, 8 burgers, and 4 hot dogs.

BTW, I departed from BRITU by using the Jack Daniels BBQ pellets from the free sample that BBQ Delight is sending. Awesome results. Wonderful mellow smokey flavor on these ribs. THeir marketing has worked on me . . . I'm buying more for next month's pulled pork!

Happy Father's Day!

Last weekend I did 3 slabs of baby backs. And I forgot to remove the membrane for the first time in as long as I can remember. I peeled them off just before serving and they were fine.But next time.....

Back