LinkMeter v2 Homebrew BBQ Controller - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its the same setup. Just had the MosFet changed. I still have the old setup, No Pcb. Although if I have the time this year I would like to get one of the new boards, As my setup is pretty delicate with all the wires going everywhere, lol.
But once its running it runs great

[/QUOTE]
The WiShield is pretty much a dead idea I think. It was pretty slow and really limited in capability and then they stopped making them so that's pretty much the final nail in the coffin.

I'd recommend just keeping an eye out on craigslist or eBay for a used WRT54GL (I got mine for $20 shipped I think) and when you get one you're good to go. .....
[/QUOTE]
What if I lived out in the sticks and didn't want to deal with eBay/Craigslist and had $50. burning a hole in my pocket.
could I get a brand spanking new WRT54GL?

I solved my problem with getting one from Ebay for $30 shipped.

I'm still looking for a v3.2 board, if someone has a set ordered.

Hi,

I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of my PCB so that I can start to build the heatermeter component.

I've not got that much experience of electrics / soldering and wanted to ask whether it is obvious which way round the components need to be soldered onto the board? e.g. I know diodes need to be the right way round - I assume it's straight forward to work out.

I'd like to complete it in a 'paint by numbers' style. I've looked at Bryan's Picasa photos and found one of a completed 3.2 board, but some of the parts are obscured. I was wondering if anyone has a clear close-up photo of a completed 2.3 board that I could use as an idiot guide?

Thanks

Nick

Originally posted by gerry m.:
What if I lived out in the sticks and didn't want to deal with eBay/Craigslist and had $50. burning a hole in my pocket.
could I get a brand spanking new WRT54GL?
Oh absolutely a new one works just as well as a used one. I see that Amazon has them for $50 now with prime-eligible shipping which isn't too bad I suppose.

Originally posted by N Waring:
I've not got that much experience of electrics / soldering and wanted to ask whether it is obvious which way round the components need to be soldered onto the board? e.g. I know diodes need to be the right way round - I assume it's straight forward to work out.
It is pretty easy, most things are marked which way they go. In retrospect I wish I would have done a step-by-step making my V3.2 board, that probably would have been useful. I'd do it like this, in this order (all directions refer to having the board component-side up, with the LCD connector closest to you):

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Resistors - Doesn't matter which direction they face. I'd solder all these in first, because it is easy to insert them then flip the board and let it rest on the resistors, which will hold them in place while soldering.
<LI> Router connector / 12V power pin header - Lord help you if you put these in the wrong way. It is easiest to do these now while you can still lay the board flat. Don't do the 12V barrel jack connector now!
<LI> Ceramic Capacitors - Again, no polarity on these. They're the small 0.01uF and 0.1uF capacitors. Do all these next.
<LI> Potentiometer - This only goes in one way.
<LI> Reset button - I'm betting you can try really hard and get this jammed in the wrong way but don't do that!
<LI> Shift Register / ATmega DIP socket - these both have notches on them to indicate the correct direction they go. On the V3.2 boards, they both have the notch on the left. When I do these, I usually do two diagonally opposite pins first, then pick up the board and hold my finger against the component then re-heat the soldered pins. This takes up any slack. Then solder the remaining pins.
<LI> Diodes - these have a stripe on them that matches the stripe on the PCB. Two of them lie flat but D1 by the BLW connector you'll have to bend so it is sticking out of the board.
<LI> Backlight transistor Q2 - Align the flat edge to match the PCB screen print.
<LI> LED - This one is confusing because the screen print is messed up. The shorter leg of the LED (this is the 'cathode' or negative side) goes in the hole closest to the LED1 printing (closest to you)
<LI> Electrolytic capacitors - all these have their negative side labeled on the component, and the positive side is labeled on the PCB. Bonus: All the positive holes are on the left, all negatives on the right. If I remember correctly, C8 above the DIP slot is shorter so do that one first then all the others.
<LI> LM7805 / MOSFET - The heatsinks on these align with the white bar printed on the PCB. Look carefully at the picasa picture here and note you don't want to insert them fully into the holes. Bend the legs down 90 degrees where they get thinner then insert them into the holes and let them sit on top of the components you've already soldered. Then flip the board and solder them in place. With them bent like this they take a lot less space in the case.
<LI> Resonator - this has no polarity
<LI> Remaining pin headers - With these I solder one pin with them at whatever angle they want to be, then pick up the board and hold my finger on them and heat the solder joint until it flows again and make them as straight as I can. Remove the soldering iron and let the joint cool before you burn the crap out of your finger. Finally, solder the remaining pins.

The PROBE connector, you'll want that angled a bit (inward probably) because the WRT54GL case jams up against the connector on final assembly. Having it angled makes it slightly less tight.

The FTDI connector (if you use it) you probably want a slightly angled outward to allow the cable just a little clearance from the RESET button.
[/list]

I think that's it?

Bryan, that's really helpful as the basis for my Build.

I'll validate as I go along and add any other useful content so that it's postable on the WIKI (if that would be helpful)

Nick

I'll validate as I go along and add any other useful content so that it's postable on the WIKI (if that would be helpful)
Yeah definitely let me know if I've left anything out (other than the 3.3V regulator which isn't needed for a LinkMeter install) or if something gets confusing along the way. I'll take that info and put it into the wiki. There was something else I was going to put in the wiki... I can't remember what it was now.

Hi,

I now have all my components - wow the PCB is small!

I'm going to start my build this weekend. Looking at what I need to do I have a few questions...

1. LCD Wiring:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> From pictures of the 3.2 board it looks like some of the LCD connections do not have pins
<LI> Looking at the picture "LinkMeter top casing showing LCD..." it appears that there are no wires connected to 5, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 15 on the uppermost connections in the photo
<LI> Looking at the same picture I note that there are some addtional links made (1&5 and 2&15) on the bottom-most connections in the photo
<LI> Could you give me an 'idiot' list of connections which are required for the LCD![/list]
2. Installing HeaterMeter software:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> I have an FDTI cable and plan to install the software before connecting to the router. I assume this will provide power etc and therefore no addtional connection will be required.[/list]
3. Connecting the Heatermeter to the Router:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> Where does the 12v wire need soldering onto the router? (J7)
<LI> I assume you don't need the J7 GND connection (as the serial connection provides the ground)?[/list]
4. Probe connections:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> The wiring schematic shows 4 proble connectors... Pit, Food1, Food2 & Food3/Amb but the picture of the top case only shows 3 probe connectors (I'm guessing Pit, Food1 & Food2)
<LI> What is Food3/Amb for? Can I just omit it as Pit, Food1 & Food2 will give me everything I need?[/list]
5. 4-way button:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> You've got a cap on your 4-way button... was this part of the Mouser list or something you got from somewhere else?
[/list]

Thanks in advance...

Nick

I now have all my components - wow the PCB is small!
Yeah! Even I was surprised at how small it was when I got the first prototype V3.0. The Mini version is downright microscopic.

1. LCD Wiring
D0 (pin 7), D1 (pin 8), D2 (pin 9), and D3 (pin 10) aren't connected to anything as we use the "4-bit mode". They're just there to maintain the spacing. No wires or pinheaders are required to be connected to these pins.

The photo "LinkMeter top casing showing LCD..." is a little misleading because the LCD had been wired 3 different times as the design progressed. /W (pin 5) needs to be grounded and B+ (pin 15) needs +5V. You can either wire them from the pin header on the PCB or use jumper wires on the LCD side (which is what you see I had done in the photo, a remnant from when there wasn't a space to wire them to the PCB).

The easiest thing to do (conceptually) is to use two 6-pin headers and wire the first 6 (pins 1-6) and the last 6 (pins 11-16), although if you're feeling industrious you can wire all 16.

2. Installing HeaterMeter software
Yes if you have the FTDI cable that will power the HeaterMeter board. No other connections will be needed. Don't forget you need to flash the bootloader before the Arduino IDE will "see" the ATmega.

3. Connecting the Heatermeter to the Router
I'm surprised no one has brought this up because it is pretty nebulous. The 12V wire I thread through the PCB mounting hole then is attached to the pin on the barrel jack which is the on the "closest to the front of the router" end of the barrel jack:

You're right, the J7 connector isn't needed. I don't even put a pin for it on my boards, to prevent me from trying to plug in 12V to the ground pin.

4. Probe connections:
All the non-pit probes are optional, wire up 0, 1, 2, or 3 food probes. I only had 3 of the 2.5mm jacks so that's all I used. I have the RFM12B wireless module too so I just pull FOOD3/AMB from that.

5. 4-way button:
Eeeeeee. Crap. Yeah the cap should be on the list and I forgot it. I use this button cap. You'll have to remove the center post from the cap to get it to snap on. The post size is "standard" so if you can find one locally or pop a button off something else it has a good chance of fitting.

Once again, thanks Brian. A helpful clear summary.

I was initially worred about the keycap... I could order one via mouser but it would have cost over $20 (inc shipping to the UK).

After a hunt online I found the same omeron product... but apparently, in the UK we only like the blue coloured version!

No doubt you'll hear from me again over the next couple of days... I'm sure I'll need a little more support!

Nick

I'm not sure if this has been asked or not, but is there any difference between using an Arduino UNO or the heatermeter 3.2 board? Other than size that is.

Nope! Size and form factor are the only differences. The current code still runs on my original HeaterMeter which is an Arduino Duelmilanove with some components on a breadboard. The Arduino has the advantage of having the integrated voltage regulator and an easy method to upload code over USB.

You can use any WRT54G that has 16MB or more of RAM and 4MB or more of flash, however the board probably won't fit right inside the case on account of there not being the huge space for it.

I'd looked at iteadstudio.com before I made my first board because they have some pretty dirt cheap prices. How long was the turnaround time from submitting your design to the board showing up?

I'd looked at iteadstudio.com before I made my first board because they have some pretty dirt cheap prices. How long was the turnaround time from submitting your design to the board showing up?
Just ordered yesterday so I will let you know when I get them. A friend said if you pay the regular $5 shipping you're looking at 3-4 weeks.

Hi Bryan. The minilink v1.1 came out great! Only one small silkscreen issue.

I am having a pretty consistent and serious problem with the lua/linkmeter server crashing while in client mode. It wont go more than 2 or three hours without.crashing. how can I troubleshoot this? It seems to happen when others are accessing the web interface through the main ISP IP address.

Bryan...I built one for my Mom and for a friend. Mom loves it...she uses it with a relay and her Bradley Electric Smoker. One suggestion she has for you...it needs an alarm. I know you started working on that...now moms asking for it! Maybe this is good justification for an android app? When it hits a certain temp, an alarm goes off of your phone. Just thought I would pass my moms feedback on to you. I guess you could go with the twitter/e-mail but those go off on my phone all the time.

Originally posted by Dave S (GeoDave):
I am having a pretty consistent and serious problem with the lua/linkmeter server crashing while in client mode. It wont go more than 2 or three hours without.crashing. how can I troubleshoot this?
Nice work on the MiniLinks! I always seem to end up with some sort of minor silkscreen issue on the "final" board too.

The best way to troubleshoot the crashing is to ssh into it and run the linkmeter process foreground and then wait for it to crash, where it will spit out the error message.
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
uci set lucid.main.daemonize=0
uci set lucid.main.debug=1
/etc/init.d/lucid restart
</pre>
If it just ends after a while (kicking you back to a command prompt) type `dmesg` and see what it says at the end of that. Most likely that would be an out-of-memory situation.

If you can get me the error message I might be able to code around it.

Has anyone been able to successfully flash and updated LinkMeter trx file via the webpage?

I've tried it about 4 times on three different systems and it has never worked for me. I get one of two outcomes. One is that it doesn't do anything. This is what I get on the WRT54G v2.2 and v3.0 routers. The second options is that it quits booting on a WRT54GS v1.0.

In all cases I end up using tftp with the bin file to get it working, but that requires me to set them all up again. Kind of annoying.

I just had to do this for the one I sent my brother, when he was having issues, and I wanted to upgrade to the latest to help debug.

thanks,
dave

P.S. - his pit probe just quit working (ET-732), so had change the coefficients back to an ET-73 probe and he used one of his meat probes for this smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back