LinkMeter v11 and firmware

The squiggles you're seeing Darren are actually artifacts of the ADC resolution. The flat horizontal bits are actual full resolution points and the slopey bits are interpolated readings generated by oversampling/decimation/averaging. The spacing between the steps is dependent on which probe type it is and the divider resistor used and indicates the true resolution of the temperature reading. Do you have different probes for the Pit vs the Food?

As far as the noise:
-- if you have ET-732 probes, ground them.
-- if you have HeaterMeter v4.1 make sure you have the "white wire fix" if you haven't
-- Try a different 12V power adapter

Thank you for your suggestions.

Yes. I have this probe for the pit and thermoworks for the food probes. And, my HM is 4.0. So, I guess I will try a different 12V adapter and see how that goes.

It should be more stable than it was before actually, because there more samples taken. If you flash release/bcm2708/10/heatermeter.hex back on it steadies out?

The real problem is the hardware noise. Are they ET-732 probes on a v4.1 board without the white wire fix or something?

It should be more stable than it was before actually, because there more samples taken. If you flash release/bcm2708/10/heatermeter.hex back on it steadies out?

The real problem is the hardware noise. Are they ET-732 probes on a v4.1 board without the white wire fix or something?

732 probes w/22k resistors on HM4.0. It's always been noise sensitive. Unuseable with a digital power supply, probes drop completely out 75% of the time. Only thing that works is transformer based power supply with the above results. I will downgrade and see what happens. In addition, my smoker is a cabinet style and is all metal. Here's a link to a pic.

Ok, figured it out, it is noise generated by the current through the SSD. I can generate the noise by turning on the element(my smoker is electric...)

Here is what it looks like now.

HM+error2.jpg

So my theory about the element introducing the noise was wrong. Look at 7:27, that is when I upgraded from v10 to v11 firmware on the HM and as you can see, blower is off. I'm sure the noise was always there but now it's just more evident. Bryan, do you think from this there is something wrong with my HM? Would you like me to move this to another thread? It's also interesting that even though the temp lines aren't as straight that the open lid detection isn't falsely triggered anymore.

HM+error4.jpg

Last edited:
It is interesting that they're more reliable in v11 but noisier. I would have thought the noise level (jagginess) would be roughly the same. I'm not sure what I can do to help though. Have you tried grounding the probe braids?

Thanks Bryan. I'm happy with it as is. At the end of the day, squiggly line or straight it maintains temperature which is all I need. I just thought I'd run it by you guys to see if either there was something wrong with my HM or this was unwanted behavior of the firmware. I know you added the pulse/voltage output options in v11, since I'm driving an SSR, I just want to make sure I have the settings correct, should they be Fan output-Pluse, Min 100%, Max 95%, invert output unchecked, and on at max only unchecked?

Thanks again.

I have updated to the latest versions of the linkmeter and heatermeter firmware, but never see any of the yellow or red noise icons despite seeing about 1 F temperature swings in the "less filtered" section of the graph. I have a heatermeter 4.1.x board (not 4.1.3 or 4.1.4) with ET-732 probes (grounded brades). I haven't completed the white wire modification yet. My question is not about the amount of noise I am seeing, but rather if I should be seeing noise indicators? How much noise does it take to trigger them?

Also, I don't consistently see the temperature rate of change numbers show up, could you help me understand why?

I have screenshots of the data I'm looking at, but can't seem to paste them into my post.

Thanks.

It takes more than "4" to see the noise indicators in yellow and I think 20 for red. To see the actual number go to /luci/lm/hmstatus and look at the "adc" list of numbers. The last one is the pit probe and works backward through FOOD3. The second number you'll likely see somewhat large, this is because on the 4.1 boards it isn't hooked up so it is all noise. The ui doesn't count that against you.

Bryan,

A few posts back, I mentioned that my lines were squiggley, too. One of the suggestions you offered was a better quality power supply. Well, I finally found one around the house and have been watching it for the past few days. While it hasn't quite eliminated the noise, it has certainly made a big improvement. But, what I found interesting was this whacky spike. Do you have any idea what was going on here?

You can see it live for the next few hours here.

i7Y7Tndl.png

My firefox browser on my samsung s4shuts down after about a minute of going to heatermeter to watch temp.
Started after latest hetermeater software update. Never had problem before.

I have had the same problem on my Samsung note 2. I thought it was because I had my phone rooted and a custom rom. After I changed to another rom I no longer have that problem.

My firefox browser on my samsung s4shuts down after about a minute of going to heatermeter to watch temp.
Started after latest hetermeater software update. Never had problem before.
Confirmed - but can't fix. Solution? Don't use Firefox. Firefox crashes after a few minutes due to their hardware rendering engine failing to be able to allocate memory. This is more likely a problem that Firefox has updated more than the HeaterMeter update (which really has had almost no changes to the home page from the previous version)
Code:
08-15 14:29:02.674  32202-32228/? W/Adreno-GSL﹕ <sharedmem_gpumem_alloc_id:1431>: sharedmem_gpumem_alloc: mmap failed errno 12 Out of memory

Also this thread isn't a great place to post anything. It is easily lost because there's no organization or title associated with it. If you have a problem or a question, make a thread. Also don't name the thread "A problem" or "I have a question" or "could use some help" for the same reason :-D

Back