Limoncello (Lemoncello) the Italian way

When bottling, is the mixture filtered through a material like cheesecloth or is it bottled unfiltered but with the zest removed?

Does the final mixture ever clear? (No pun!)

Clear clear? No.

You can strain out the zest or filter it. I use a chinois. I strain before adding the sugar syrup though.

The original recipe, however, states to retain the zest when mixing in the sugar syrup and I'm certain that there are a myriad of different ways to make the stuff.

The longer time that the zest spends in the liquid may perhaps mean a stronger (better or even bitter?) flavor.

If you believe that then you'd be better off leaving the zest-alcohol mix alone for longer, before adding the syrup, as alcohol alone is a better extractor.

I don't go all that long as I find that, after a few days, any improvement in flavor extraction by the alcohol of the zest is, at best, marginal.

So as I understand your method: at the 3 week point the zest is discarded and the remaining extract is then mixed with the sugar syrup - followed by a two week ageing period prior to final bottling.

I often go only 4 or 5 days with the zest in the alcohol. It depends on whether I make it when I get home or just before leaving (if at that point, it sits for weeks bwfore being strained out). I do not see a large enough difference between a many-day maceration and a maceration for longer, not enough to necessitate it. I go longer if convenient (which, if I set it up before I leave the ranch, it is as I have no choice).

I strain out the zest then mix in the syrup, bottle, and allow to mellow a few days before consumption. I do not find that weeks in the bottle makes a big difference either. There is slight softening of the volatiles but nothing that ice and/or a splash of water can't handle on their own, sooner.

I've read some of this thread but not all so sorry if this is a repeat of something else here but I've been making limoncello for years and have always followed this standard recipe with great success.

Zest 16-18 lemons and let the zest soak in 750ml of 100 proof vodka for 40 days, then add another 750ml of 100 proof vodka and a 4 cup water to 1.5 cup sugar simple syrup and let the whole thing sit for another 40 days. I always put it in a cool dark place like the garage or a closet. I then strain it and bottle it and then freeze it for at least a 1 week before tapping into it. It is amazing the difference a week in the freezer will make in the flavor and consistency.

It is a great recipe and super easy. I'm sure there are better and worse. 100 proof is key since 80 proof will freeze, the 100 proof gets the perfect thickness after being in the freezer.

Lexx:

Clarification needed: was that 4 cups of water added to 1.5 cup of sugar to make simple syrup?

Correct 4 cups water to 1.5 cups sugar on the SS. I've tried 5:2 but 5 cups was too much water and I'd get a fair amount of ice in the mixture after I put it in the freezer. I also tried 4:2 but felt like that was too much sugar.

Always wondering about others' experiences. Recent comments about clarity... over months of bottle age, my kumquatcello did become much clearer, but this does not appear true for key lime. Can anyone else comment?

Also, I'd like to hear more about bottle age effects. The key lime cello is noticeably better today (sits in my cellar, at ambient, until I freeze it just before drinking) than it was 6 months ago. It just tastes "brighter", richer, more of a pure flavor of the key lime. My kumquatcello is maybe a little better too. The approach of winter means it's cello-making season. Happy holidays!

Bill in Bay

I have been here reading this thread too long without getting in the action. I drove to Indiana yesterday and picked up a couple of bottles of everclear.

I just finished zesting the lemons and am anxiously awaiting the next step. I bought some key limes last evening but don't have enough time now to do it. One side of the family is coming here today for Christmas. I know they won't be as good as home grown but I don't know of any key lime trees in Ohio.
icon_biggrin.gif

I can't wait til next month. I am going to make a batch using honey bells. I love to eat them I bet they will taste good in a drink also.

Edit/
Just wanted to say it has been a couple of weeks since adding the syrup to the lemon. My out of town company was really excited about the lemoncello. Wanting the recipe as soon as my wife told them about it. First taste was after only a few days after adding the syrup. Had a good taste but quite strong.

Well it has been another week and wow it is a lot smoother, tastier. Although it finished quite powerful. I don't know if it was because it wasn't as cold or just being at the bottom of the cup but that last sip makes the hair on the back of your neck stand at attention. It very much reminded me of a lemonhead candy of my youth.

While I like the lemon I think the other flavors I am making or planning will be better. I have key lime mixed just aging. I can't wait to try that. I am just hoping it has enough flavor. I guesstimated about 3 keylimes to 1 lemon. I ended up with 30, 3 were not the best and got trashed. It is smelling good, going to try it in about a week. I have some grapefruit steeping now, ready to be strained out. I will have honey bells in my hands monday. I can't wait to get that going. I may have to hold off til tuesday though. I gotta watch the buckeyes spank LSU. Sorry Doug and any others who live in the state.

I have been following this thread with major interest. It is time for all peoples that are doing this to give us non-doers, an update to convince us to do it too.

I' m with Jeff. I love the lemon (made 5 bottles for Christmas presents) but I really like others as well or better, especially Key lime anf calamondin. I did not make a straight Key lime this year because I had practically no crop. But I have going now a mix of the zest of 9 or 10 tangerines right off the tree, 2 early-to-ripen ruby red grapefruits and 2 Key limes. I only set it up to macerate about 3 days before I left to go on the road for a while--checked it but it wan't yet ready to strain and blend with the simple syrup.

I'd definitely encourage you to give it a go, David. It's very easy and very tasty.

Meyer lemon is a favorite as well, as is blood orange.

I made two gallons of the stuff beginning mid-November and now it's nearing the first quaff after three weeks or so in the freezer... Will email y'all a virtual taste in about a week or so!

I have a friend that grows her own lemons. She called the day I asked this question and got 15 lemons from her. I now have my own batch going. Keep up the good info fellows.

I put it off as long as I could. I just taped into the key lime cello. All I can say is Aaaaaawwwww Yeeeeaaaaa. Actually I thought the lemon was alright but wasn't really thrilled with it. Well this key lime version is like 25x better. I will definately be making it again. This is with your run of the mill wally world key limes.

I got the honey bells I just haven't taken the time to get it going yet. I bet those are going to be good as a cello.

I think they'll be great.

If you do Key lime again, try finding ripe Keys if you can. This can be tough because they are so often picked too early. Look for yellow or greenish yellow ones, not green. (Fully ripe is yellow.) Greens are underripe and have less--and less developed--oils. If I get a good crop next season I'll send you some if you're unable to get any in the interim and you can see what you think.

Actually I zested a couple of bags of key limes last night. I don't know when the season ends and I want another batch. There were a couple of green ones in the bag. I had to look through several bags to find most of them being ripe. I got the Key Limes done last night and the honeybells the night before.

I stumbled onto a good drink. Last night I put some keylimecello into the glass then added some tropicana fruit punch to it. Mighty tasty.

This is almost as addicting as smokin.
icon_wink.gif

Kevin if you have enough key limes I would be very happy to take some off of your hands. Actually I was thinking about it. I don't know if it was in this thread or somewhere else but you said one year you have a great crop and other years you have a few. I had similar problem with my white peach tree years ago. I would get a bumper crop then the next year I was lucky to get a half dozen. After reading up on it I found out that this was from not triming and incorrect triming. Anyhow after triming it a couple of years I started getting a bumper crop every year. I don't know if it is the same thing but just thought I would pass that on. Might be a similar problem to what I had.

Back