Lifting the charcoal ring?

Tom Mccann

TVWBB Fan
I have a 18.5 on the way and I have heard that it was a good idea to lift the charcoal ring a bit to allow better air flow. Anyone do this? Is it a good Idea?
Thanks.

The current design by Weber works well the way it is now. I see no need for any modification in this area.

Originally posted by Tom Mccann:
I have a 18.5 on the way and I have heard that it was a good idea to lift the charcoal ring a bit to allow better air flow. Anyone do this? Is it a good Idea?
Thanks.
I've never heard of that suggestion, and I see no reason to do it.

I raised the cahrcoal grate on my 22.5". It made a big difference. The way it came was the charcoal grate was bi-secting the air intakes so only half the air flow would be drawn up underneath the grate, the other half, the airflow would rise up along the insides of the WSM, completely missing the coal base. I have better heat control now and it doesn't run as cool as it used to. Trust me, raise the grate.

My question would be where did you hear that it was a "good idea to lift the charcoal ring"? I've been around here quite a long time, and do not recall such a mod ever being discussed. Bear in mind that the original 18" WSM's bottom vents are completely above the charcoal grate, so I'm not sure that theories about where the vents are in relation to the grate, and the airflow effects as a result are all that plausible.

Funny you should ask that question. After my last post here I decided to do a search on the subject and found nada. I swear I read it on the smoke ring forum but couldn't find it there either. Obviously I have created a tempest in a teapot.

Originally posted by Tom Mccann:
Funny you should ask that question. After my last post here I decided to do a search on the subject and found nada. I swear I read it on the smoke ring forum but couldn't find it there either. Obviously I have created a tempest in a teapot.

Weird. I just did a search also but found nothing specific. I know I read it here. Maybe its in another thread that drifted (as we all know they do). I have the 22.5" and the grate originally bi-sects the vents. I didn't know the 18" charcoal grate was below the vents. Anyway, trust me, the heat control is a lot better now.

Tom,that mod was for the 22". The charcoal grate would interfere with the bottom vents,so there were several mods for raising the grate. It's not neccessary for the 18".

Maybe you were reading about the Cajun Bandit charcoal ring for the 22.5" WSM, which raises the grate for better vent clearance & airflow?

I use 2 charcoal grate's one for low & slow and the other for HH. The original grate sits just below the bottom vent's i use that one for low & slow, the second grate is the one from my 22 kettle sit's just above the bottom vent's i use it for HH cooks.

I just want to repeat that the concern about placement of the charcoal grate and ring does not apply to the new 18.5. (And, yes, I also remember seeing those posts -- here and elsewhere.) The vents are now about 3" below the charcoal grate in the 18.5 -- no need for any modification.

Edit: My apologies, the bold text is incorrect. The charcoal grate is at about 2/3 the distance below the top of these lower vents.

Rich

I'm pretty sure the 18" vents were left where they always were. When designing the 22" they were left in accordance with that "rule of thumb". Something may have changed recently, but i can't really see it making that dramatic of difference.

I recall the issue with the vent interference... man.. that is still a sticking point with me. But it wasn't about a cooking issue.

elsewhere.) The vents are now about 3" below the charcoal grate in the 18.5 -- no need for any modification.

I don't quite understand that. On my 18, the charcoal grill rests just below the vents. The ring that holds the coals, is right beside the vents. It appears that the incoming air would be sucked through those side holes in the ring , and feed the coals. Similar to the side holes in the chimney.

Seems to work fine in my 18. So where are the intake vents in the 22? Higher up? Is this what the cajun bandit coal ring does, that it lifts the coals higher up so in rushing air feeds it?

Thanks

And looking at images of the 22 intake vents, I can see that the charcoal grate sits halfway between the holes. Two holes below and two above.

Scott Dace posted about raising the grill, and I can see how that would increase airflow. But I think that's an option, not a necessity. The 22 setup is already better than the 18, not worse. The 18 setup has the grill BELOW all three air intake holes. So NO air is coming underneath the 18 grate. Yet, a sideflow of air, with intake holes right beside the stack of coals, seems to work.

I get that Scott has increased temperatures. You sure would. But do you want that?

As always, it seems to be whether there is a problem. If you want higher temps, give it more air. If not, don't.

My two cents, anyway.

My 18 " WSM's cook just fine the way they are . Most of the time I pack the charcoal in , so lifting the coal rack would limit the amount of coal I can pack in .

Originally posted by John Noble:
elsewhere.) The vents are now about 3" below the charcoal grate in the 18.5 -- no need for any modification.

I don't quite understand that. On my 18, the charcoal grill rests just below the vents. The ring that holds the coals, is right beside the vents. It appears that the incoming air would be sucked through those side holes in the ring , and feed the coals. Similar to the side holes in the chimney.
Thanks

Mega culpa! John, thanks for noticing my error. I had just completed the mod to add support brackets for the lid around the bottom section and had the GRILLING grate in place. The charcoal grate is indeed near the bottom of the lower vents. And that's why I at times have ash collecting in the vents from K during a long cook.

Rich

Back