Lid fit

Jim Phillips

When I put the lid on I need to snap it in. I know something is out of round. Is this normal?, is there a known tweak for this or am I just being a newbie. Currently smoking chicken so I see smoke puffing from under the lid.

This is normal and very easy to fix. The middle section and lid of my 2014 22.5" WSM were both slightly out of round when I got it a couple months ago. All you have to do is take a tape measure, and measure across it a couple places. Then squeeze it gently where you are measuring a longer side until you get equal measurements in all dimensions. Shouldn't take more than a couple minutes.

I had the same issue with my 18.5" I got back in Nov 2013. The bottom and middle section of mine fit fine, just the top and middle section had the issue. I took the top, placed it on the bottom and noticed how much out of round the top was. I emailed Weber and they sent me a new top. Though the new top was not perfectly round, it was way better than before. My old top, when place on the middle section, wouldn't let me sping it without getting stuck and I could see into the pit depending on how it was positioned on the middle section.

Dave

Thanks,The middle section fits the bottom fine. I'll see how the top fits on the bottom piece. If it fits I'll get out the tape measure and look for the longer side and make the adjustment.

So put the lid on the bottom piece and it fit nicely. Put it down on a flat spot and it was not warped. I took the middle section off and put the bottom then then the top on a flat spot and neither were warped. The top of the middle section has looked a little out of round to me from the being. I could have eyed it but took Caesar's advise and used a tape measure to nail the long spot. It was only out out a about quarter inch on the long side so I picked it up and gave it a slight bro-hug at the top. Set it back down and now the lid fits. Oh, and I also discovered not to make that adjustment when wearing a clean white T-shirt.

Update...After making the BRO Hug adjustment I also make an adjustment on the access door. This time when cooking chicken the installed thermometer held at 260 until I opened the lid to check on the chicken. Put the lid back on and it ran at about 250. I also threw a pound of cheap bacon on the bottom grate at the start to get some grease going. I could be ready for some ribs now.

Yep, between a couple of adjustments and several cooks, WSM's usually seal up after around 10 or so cooks. At this time, normal running temp will usually drop a little (when the inside gets less shiny) and temps will stabilize a lot better. They will also get easier to shutdown.

Measure the lid and make the same mear-hug adjustment. I do that to every kettle/wsm I acquire.

Back