Let's talk smoking on a Weber Gasser!

GeorgeG

TVWBB Member
I just bought a Genesis EP310 and the optional smoker box.

I have been smoking for years in a Big Green Egg and realize the Weber Gasser will not do near as good a job but it much more convent to use.

What do you Gasser experts suggest I use in the smoker box (chips, chunks, pellets or what)? Also, where would you place the box in the 310 and what would you set the 3 different burners at?

I will use the smoker box mostly for baby backs and salmon.

Thanks!

I have used a smoker box in my "Jenn Air" (sorry guys) gasser for a few years now. I don't feel it provides enough smoke for long low n slow cooks but I think it adds a nice hint of smoke to quicker cooking foods like wings and brats that I do indirect for most of the cook then kick up the heat at the end for some color. Burner configuration usually varies, but I start the smoker box burner on high until it starts to smoke then turn it back around medium to try to prevent the wood chips from catching fire. The other burners are usually left on low or off depending on how hot the grill is running that particular day.

I used the Weber SS smoker box that sits on the grate with my Silver B several years ago with soaked chips and didn't think it did a lot other than make a decent smell while cooking. But in retrospect, I may have been using it totally wrong. Pellets seem like they would burn better than chips but I don't know about more smoke from a pellet. In theory, I would think the chips should smoke better than pellets while pellets should burn (i.e. create more heat) better than chips.

I did see some suggestions in my thread about in-line boxes for an older Genesis suggest using wood chunks directly on the flavor bars- soaked a I would presume.

I just wrap chunks in foil and lay them on the bars. Good smoke flavor but not "smoked" food. I don't leave bare wood in there as the ashes are corrosive and a mess

Have you considered the Amaze-N-Smoker Tube. It can be found on Amazon and really puts a smoke flavor on your cook. I also cold smoke cheese with mine.

also there is a trick that some have used. and that's if you have the meat on one side you use foil to plug up half of the back vent on the other side. thus the smoke is forced to travel over the meat.

Back