Lets talk beer *****

HA! Currently enjoying a Spaten Lager and I have a 22 oz Bitburger on hot standby (cooling in the fridge).

For those of you familiar with BevMo (beverages and more), Beer advocate is a nice place to get recommendations, but nothing beats going to BevMo and just browsing and selecting beers to try.

For those of you unfamiliar, lets just say they have their beers broken up into regions. Germany, Belgium, USA, England, Ireland, Europe, Microbrews, etc, etc...

I LOVE BevMo.

Rondo,haven't had a Bitburger in about 24 years! Yep,that's when I was in Germany and learned to drink(and burp on command)! I also forgot about a brew that I enjoy fairly regularly. The Frugal Joe's Average Beer from Trader Joes. Good stuff! The missus picked me up a sixer while she was there today! Woohoo!

My favorite beer is a local brew just across the border from me. Cant get it unless I go to Victoria, BC Canada. Hermann's Dark Lager is very good and a B+ on BA.

Right now I am having a Black Butte Porter from Bend Oregon. My current favorite that I can get at the local Safeway. It is an A+ on BA too.

I'm with ChrisPM, what ever homebrew I have on tap is what I'm drinking. Just tapped out a belgian saison/farmhouse ale, which was my last keg. Will be brewing next weekend though, doing a pale ale, another saison and some type of weisse (not sure what I'm going for yet on that one).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geir Widar:
Concerning the cost of beer, I am used to pay four dollars per half liter in the supermarket. If you go to a pub, bar or restaurant, the price is around 13 USD for 0.4 liters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, somewhere more expensive than Dubai! I am amazed. I have a friend in Norwary. He told me everything was expensive but that is a ridiculous price for beer. 9-12 USD for 0.5 litres is the normal here for a beer in a bar/restaurant.

Definitely a Guinness man myself although that's shocking expensive compared to other regular beers to buy here. 75 USD per case of 24 cans! Most other beers are around 30-40 USD per case.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sheldon Koehler:
My favorite beer is a local brew just across the border from me. Cant get it unless I go to Victoria, BC Canada. Hermann's Dark Lager is very good and a B+ on BA.

Right now I am having a Black Butte Porter from Bend Oregon. My current favorite that I can get at the local Safeway. It is an A+ on BA too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice choice! Hermans is one of the few that I really like from Vancouver Island Brewery, although I do like Dunkel Wiezens in general! There special releases are excellent as well!

Clark

I have been enjoying a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout with nice cigar recently. On of my other favorites recently is the Goose Island Pere Jacques. I also enjoy most beers by the 3 Floyds brewery (in Munster, IN.).

Brad W - My brother tapped a Saison they did a few weeks back that was absolutely delicious! Haven't found a good "commercial" one though

Just love ale...and just bought this "boston brown ale" its a good beer cant really compare to the newcastle. but still a good american ale.

//Me

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keith Pietranczyk:
Brad W - My brother tapped a Saison they did a few weeks back that was absolutely delicious! Haven't found a good "commercial" one though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Goose Island has really good beers, get several around here, the oatmeal stout is one if the top 3 oatmeal stouts I've had.

For commercial Saison, if you can find Ommegang's Hennepin or Odonata's Saison, those are the two best commercial examples I've had.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keith Pietranczyk:
I have been enjoying a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout with nice cigar recently. On of my other favorites recently is the Goose Island Pere Jacques. I also enjoy most beers by the 3 Floyds brewery (in Munster, IN.).

Brad W - My brother tapped a Saison they did a few weeks back that was absolutely delicious!
Haven't found a good "commercial" one though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thumbs up for Three Floyds Alpha King!

For those of you that brew their own beer, try smoking the malt first at 200 for an hour. Smoked beer, it's delicious.

This is a beer for me, everything else can just come close. The winner is
image_pu_kral_lahev.jpg

Spending this half year in Northern Ireland. Both Guinness and Harp are available on tap and seem brighter and better than in the US. Another pleasant surprise has been Tennant, a lager brewed in Belfast that is very good. Beer is about 2.5 to 3 pounds sterling in the pubs.
we're only 18 miles from the "Old Bushmills" distillery so we have had a wee bit more Irish Whiskey than usual. Regular Bushmills is 15 per 750 ml and Black Bush is 17, 1608 is 18. Jamesons is available reasonably too.
We spent the weekend of the 18th in Edinburgh, they have about 350 different whiskeys available there. We tried a few...

I'm with ChrisPM on this one!
icon_smile.gif

I do love my beer... I can make any style I care to, and though I kinda suck a the Q sometimes, I pride myself in my award winning brews!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Freeman:
For those of you that brew their own beer, try smoking the malt first at 200 for an hour. Smoked beer, it's delicious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Done it, much better than the smoked malt you can buy, especially peat smoked.

The case on hand is Yuengling Lager since it was cheap at Sams.

However, I love a Corona Extra with a piece of lime at the Mex. restaurant. Also, I finally tried the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale recently and loved it.

Looking forward to some New Orleans Abita tomorrow night at the WOW wingery. I hear they have this "Andy Gator" that's really good...at knocking you on yo butt, too.
icon_eek.gif

I love the Dogfish head 60 and 90, but my go to has been Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for a while. If you can get your hands on a growler of any of Southern Tier's stuff it really is terrific. They make a few great ones...

Anything from Samuel Smiths, especially the Lager. The oatmeal stout is as good a breakfast beer as you can find...lovely way to start the day, as long as a nap is involved after the meat comes off.

Back