Leg of Lamb - Greek Inspired

Luke P

TVWBB All-Star
Been stalking and posting occasionally, but my phone and computer have made it so complicated to post that I've been a little quiet. Got a few issues worked out and gonna share a few detailed posts. My grills been churning out some tasty meals and here is one meal I'm proud of.

Got a whole leg of lamb from Giant Groceries at a ridiculous discount I couldn't turn down. Trimmed it and hit it with S&P. Rubbed it all down with rosemary, sage, tyme, and mint paste in EVOO and chilled it. Got it on the rotisserie and let it cruise at about 300* for 1.5-2 hours. Pulled, rested and sliced with the bone to make some delicious gyros.

6D764703-8401-45DC-835E-135AE7AFFA16_zpswzguzsvc.jpg

AF9F75E1-CF74-4AB2-90A5-AD2B987DC5D3_zpsr6m9mmmc.jpg

Pretty proud of this close trim.
F1C4C0E3-0E2B-4EF7-9526-65D6D3AD6FEF_zpsidlgdkah.jpg

Proud of little man helping Daddy. Sous chef working on his knife skills.
E0A8999F-6889-4B55-87E9-F702F4EFBF13_zpsciiixsz4.jpg

92E4DBD6-EFE1-4D55-8969-282C3FD0754E_zpsupcejgmc.jpg

49088664-FA6A-40B5-9A57-F6E04D4A217C_zpsvunl9icf.jpg

0B4AA5E4-5770-4AC9-93C1-795522E4BCA5_zpsgdeigxly.jpg

FAFFE70A-C6B7-42E6-9511-ABAA23F240A7_zpsywxdhrsj.jpg

You sous chef is doing an outstanding job great to see. That is one gorgeous piece of meat and you did fantastic.

Great post Luke - nice to see you back.
And nice work on getting the rotisserie skewer placed just right!

Great Cook! Your Sous chef is doing a great job! My Sous chef started when he was 3, has his own knives and has claimed one of the mini-wsms as his own!

Luke, next time take your knife and through natural seams unroll the leg like you did the turkey. Then smear a paste of garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, oil and tie back up again. That how some restaurants do it and it's wonderful.

Thanks to everyone for encouraging words. This was a fun and different cook for me and our usual fare.

Good to see you Luke. Mighty fine cook to! How old is Luke Jr?

Ben is 2. He's got about a 2 minute attention span, but it's good enough to sprinkle some seasoning or "cut" something for me. I love when he helps.

Great post Luke - nice to see you back.
And nice work on getting the rotisserie skewer placed just right!
Thanks Brian. Skewering it was my biggest concern. I tied it to the spikes to be safe, but it was pretty well balanced. It's amazing...if you know it's going on the spit, the whole time you're trimming and seasoning you're just looking at how well it balances!

Looks awesome!
On a gasser or charcoal? If charcoal, what did you use? Any wood added?

Randy, I did it on my 22.5 performer with kingsford and no wood. I almost always use apple, cherry or oak, but I've never done lamb so I let this one go without.

Great Cook! Your Sous chef is doing a great job! My Sous chef started when he was 3, has his own knives and has claimed one of the mini-wsms as his own!

CaseT, I'm working on the "ownership". :) He uses a little snowman butter knife now.

Luke, next time take your knife and through natural seams unroll the leg like you did the turkey. Then smear a paste of garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, oil and tie back up again. That how some restaurants do it and it's wonderful.

Alan, I love that idea! I thought about this, but was worried about a sloppy roll on the skewer. I'm pretty confident in my tying skills, but not as confident in loading it on the rotisserie. I look forward to lamb again, but will wait patiently til I see another markdown like this.

As I've said before, great to see more lamb being q'd. And that leg looks fantastic. Well done mate.

Back