Leg of Lamb cooking temp

Jan N.

TVWBB Member
I am going to smoke a 6#, bone-in, Australian leg of lamb tomorrow. I am using the "Martini" recipe from the Smoke & Spice cookbook, which says to cook at 200-220. Various other recipes I've looked at suggest 320-350. I was thinking I would cook it more like a turkey breast, which I did at 350 and it was wonderful.

Any opinions or suggestions? Also, do you use water or not? I'm really quite unsure at this point. What temperature should I cook at?

This is my first post, so here's a little info about our smoking adventures so far. The smoker was a Christmas gift to my husband, so when I say "I" smoked a turkey breast, I really mean my husband did. But I prepare the meat and tell him how to do it, so it's really a joint effort.

For the Christmas present, I wrapped up a bag of hickory chunks, the Fire & Smoke cookbook, and a bumper sticker sized piece of cardboard with www.virtualweberbullet.com printed on it. He looked at me funny, and said "You got me a VIRTUAL smoker?" I said "No, the real one is in my closet, but I am NOT going to carry it back down." (It was all I could do to get it up there.) Anyway, he was thrilled with the gift.

So far we have done ribs and a turkey breast. The ribs were dry, but edible. The turkey breast was perfect. Really excellent. Used hickory for the ribs ( @225) and apple for the turkey (@350).

So, thanks to all the nice folks on this board for what we've learned so far.

Now what about this lamb?

Jan.

Now me, I like crispy lamb fat, so I'd go with the higher temps. Never tried anything out of smoke and spice, but it seems to me i've read on this board that folks here ignore the suggested times and temps more often than not, so I think you're on the right track.

Jan -- I have never tried smoking lamb. We have always grilled it -- usually the cook was cooked (Letting Captain Morgan do the cooking) and the lamb turned out wonderful.

Here is a quick acting marinade that I learned from my fearless leader Bill in the south:

Take the leg of lamb and season it with:

- Lowerys Seansoning Salt
- Granulated Garlic
- Black Pepper.

Put enough on to cover the meat in a thick crust. I us much less salt than Bill does. If you do not think you have too much pepper and garlic, sprinkle more on.

Mix a marinade consisting of equal parts of:

- Dale's Steak Seasoning
- World Harbors Maui Mountain Hawaiian Style Teriyaki Sauce & Marinade.

Pour a cup or two over the lamb. Let the marinade work for 15 minutes or however much longer Captain Morgan and the conversation dictates, spooning the excess back over the leg of lamb. If you do not have a paste of pepper, garlic, etc, you probably did not put on enough pepper and garlic.

Anyhow grill the leg of lamb until you are done and you think it is done. (we test by poking it and when it starts to tighten up we quit).

This also works on steaks.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back