Leftover Kingsford

shawn244

TVWBB Fan
What does everyone do with the leftover half burned fuel after a smoke? Someimes I leave them in my wsm and just dump the new coals on top and they eventually burn. I have also been saving mine up for a while in shed and I was thinking of using them on my 22.5 weber grill.

I use them on the next cook. I usually put them in the Chimney and use them up that way for the MM. As long as they're not water logged they burn up just fine.
icon_biggrin.gif

I use them on my next cook ,but if there isn't much left or the pieces are really small I put them in a steel trash can in my garage and use them in my woodstove. Every little bit helps I guess and at $13.00 a bag for lump I hate to waste any.

I only use my leftover briquettes for grilling. What I have left after smoking doesn't appear to be in very pristine condition, so I doubt it would burn all that consistently, at least not enough for a longer cooking time.

I take my leftover out and either put them on top of fresh charcoal or use them in my 22.5 kettle with fresh coal. I don't throw them away.

I used some of my leftover kingsford on my 22.5 kettle tonight to cook some sausage and onions. I had a really hard time getting them to light in my chimney. It took at least double the amount of paper to get them going. Once they were on fire they were just fine. Hot fire and burned for a long time. Everything cooked up just fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shawn244:
I used some of my leftover kingsford on my 22.5 kettle tonight to cook some sausage and onions. I had a really hard time getting them to light in my chimney. It took at least double the amount of paper to get them going. Once they were on fire they were just fine. Hot fire and burned for a long time. Everything cooked up just fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you leave them sit in the Kettle or WSM and they're outside they will pick up some moisture and thus be harder to light.
icon_wink.gif

Shawn,
Do you have a gas grill with a side burner? It works great to fire up that chimney. Take the grate off the side burner, sit it over the burner. I only leave it on there for a few minutes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
Shawn,
Do you have a gas grill with a side burner? It works great to fire up that chimney. Take the grate off the side burner, sit it over the burner. I only leave it on there for a few minutes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah Buddiee!!! I've been preaching this for years. If your going to drop the cash for that new Weber get the side burner and use it to light the chimney. Not to mention all the other uses you'll find for it.
icon_wink.gif

I just sold my gas grill, but kept the propane tank. My intent is to get a Turkey Fryer unit, or maybe just a weed burner attachment to light my chimney.

Great Idea Bob, I have a weber gasser with the side burner right next my kettle. I would have never thought of that. Can't wait to give it a try. So much for messing with newspaper!

Back