Learning to barbecue

Lew

TVWBB All-Star
I've seen a lot of threads lately about WSMs and automatic temperature control devices. It seems a lot of people are learning to barbecue with set & forget smokers like the WSM with an ATC, pellet poopers, or electrics like the Masterbuilt. I can see the attraction; you don't have to learn about your equipment and can concentrate on the food.

My brother-in-law has only cooked on his Masterbuilt electric, and he started making good Q right away. I started smoking on my Weber Kettle, then a cheap Brinkmann Gourmet bullet smoker, then a cheap offset smoker. I heavily modded the last two and learned a lot in the process. I've cooked Q on eggs and poopers and cheap barrel grills. It took me longer to start getting good results since I had to learn the cooking process AND fire control.

Now, I mostly Q on my WSM or Smoke EZ - both very close to set & forget - but I feel confident that I can go into anybody's back yard and produce decent Q on whatever cooker I find there. My BIL can't do that and he doesn't care. To him, his smoker is just an outdoor oven. More and more people seem to think like him. I can't blame them, but I'm glad I learned the whole process of barbecue. I would encourage anybody who is just learning to do the same. Get the WSM & a cyberQ and enjoy the food, but learn to cook a butt on a kettle or ribs on that cheap barrel grill at the lake. You'll be glad you did.

I myself had to look in the mirror and see a guy who was heading down the "smoker is just an outdoor oven" road. I didn't like that, reversed gears, and can now set the WSM up to burn long and clean. I sold the ATC because I never used it. I even read a post where a guy wants to be able to run his smoker away from the house over the internet via his iphone. No offence to those who like that style of cooking -- it's just not for me. Ditto: "I would encourage anybody who is just learning to do the same".

Last edited:
I use an ATC but have learned to control all of my equipment without it. I don't low and slow a whole lot but grill just about every chance I get. I work a rotating schedule and the last thing I want to do is pull another all nighter when I don't have to and that is why I use an ATC when I do a low and slow all night long. Everything I cook on is easy to use too but that is why I chose it. That is why we have Webers right, ease of use??

I use an ATC but have learned to control all of my equipment without it. I don't low and slow a whole lot but grill just about every chance I get. I work a rotating schedule and the last thing I want to do is pull another all nighter when I don't have to and that is why I use an ATC when I do a low and slow all night long. Everything I cook on is easy to use too but that is why I chose it. That is why we have Webers right, ease of use??

Except for the rotating schedule remark - been retired for seven + years now - you took the words right out of my mouth, John....

I hear so many people comment that they do not have time to smoke because you have to tend the smoker. These people seem to move towards the more automatic smokers. I love my WSM because it forces me to slow down and relax.

Mike

Different smokes for different folks.
The bottom line I think, is our ambition to cook great Q. How we get there is a matter of personal preference but I agree with Lew learn the basics first.

I agree with Gary. So long as people want q thats great no matter how they achieve their goal. I have an atc which I use on long cooks but I also know how to control my wsm. Its a hobby for me and the atc is a toy like bear claws, a thermapen etc.

Some very interesting observations here, as a newbie and I guess just generally fits in with my type of personality, I'm approaching this from the hobby perspective I guess. I may end up with all the automated stuff but for now the only luxury will be the Maverick thermometer I think. I'm sort of looking forward to the all night smokes. Since I'll be doing this at my seasonal campsite on weekends I hope to make an event of the over night smokes, hoping some of the others guys will pull all-nighters with me sitting around the campfire tending the smoker and putting down a few brews. I haven't done any smoking but I've done slow cooks on my Weber Q with ribs and roasts. I've won some and not so much, mostly wins with lots of compliments from the recipeints of my experiments.

Brian, I think my main challenge was with using water or not. There are different ways to light your smoker depending upon what you are doing and where you want your temps to be but the water pan, dry pan, no pan, clay saucer is something you have to experience and then decide for yourself. I started out, with a 22 using a full water pan. Gobbled huge amounts of fuel and decided when it took twice the weight in charcoal to cook a butt or a shoulder or a brisket this was not for me. Sold the 22, bought the 18. Had I done more with the 22 without 3 gallons of water I might still have it but I have since learned water is not for my style of cooking unless I'm doing ribs and I mostly cook for two. Each style of smoking with the pans can make a different in the operation, wind also makes a huge difference. It's all part of the challenge which comes with experience. I'm not sure which I enjoy the most...the cook or the meal! The cook has been much easier on my waistline!:):wsm:

I'm not sure which I enjoy the most...the cook or the meal! The cook has been much easier on my waistline!:):wsm:
Wifey told me last night, while eating baby back ribs, that I was going to make her fat if I keep this up... lol

Lew - As a new guy to this low-n-slow game, I'm not interested in the learning curve of a cheap Brinkman, eggs, poopers or off-set smoker. I'd rather master & perfect what I have - a WSM. Don't own an ATC, and no plans to get one, but I can see the allure. Leave for work in the morning and come home to a perfect cook 8 hours later? Maybe some day. But right now, I baby sit this puppy with notepad & pencil in hand while I learn it's ins-&-outs.

...I may end up with all the automated stuff but for now the only luxury will be the Maverick thermometer I think. ...

Some of the purists would take you to task on even THAT...they swear by using only the palm of their hands to test grill temps (uh, thanks but NO thanks to that one) and the touch method to gauge doneness - gimme the techno stuff every time!

Regards,

Rooster

This debate will go on for years to come and both sides have a valid points. The main thing is you do what you enjoy doing. For me I equate it like the same way I approach sitting down with my son to do his math homework. I can still do math with an abacus but why not punch a few buttons and get the answer. That being said there is some merit to the argument of learning to do it without the assistance. I have learned fire control first on my kettle and now on my WSM but don't kid yourself I have an ATC on my Christmas wishlist this year. At least its not the fancy one you can control from your iPhone (Only because it is out of my price point).

Opps, hope what I said about the techno stuff wasn't misconstrued I don't have experience enough to make a or have a valid opinion. I was just saying I'm more of a hands on guy especially when I have loads to learn. It doesn't mean that at some point in my smoking hobby I won't want to indulge in the techno stuff available.

Having started off on a Lowe's gas powered smoker I can see the other side of it. The first time I smoked on that thing I was worshiped (by just my family unfortunately). That gave me the confidence to try new things. The only reason I got away from that gasser was because I couldn't compete with it.

That and I blew it up but that's another story...

I have an electric smoker for doing bacon easily and hopefully this winter some sausage and I love my WSMs but if it weren't for that gasser, I would have never ventured into this world.

The tech side of things appeal to me because that's what I do all day long. I don't get enough time with my family as it is so being able to use my WSM and get alerts when I need to check it instead of going out every so often appeals to me too.

What a great thread. That's why I love this place...

Nothing against technology or set & forget smokers. I can do overnights with either of my smokers and sleep while they're cooking. And I'm not advocating the purist approach; smouldering fire pit or pellet pooper, it's still Q to me. I AM glad I learned the basics and would encourage others to do the same.

Nothing against technology or set & forget smokers. I can do overnights with either of my smokers and sleep while they're cooking. And I'm not advocating the purist approach; smouldering fire pit or pellet pooper, it's still Q to me. I AM glad I learned the basics and would encourage others to do the same.

Yes and for my last word...know and understand the word "Range" like 250-275, 230-250. Don't get all bent about a few degrees.:wsm:

Several months ago I sold my first smoker (Bradley Digital) and took that money and dropped it on a new Performer.

First of all I found the "Q" I was getting from the electric/puck style Bradley compared to my pals' with charcoal/wood smokers just did not measure up in flavour.

My second reason and it may sound dumb was it wasn't any fun. Let me expand a bit. We recently sold our RV as my kids are getting older and have other interests but what I miss most from camping is the outdoor cooking. When we used to camp between my Weber Q120 and CampChef outdoor stove I was ALWAYS outside cooking rain/snow or shine and at the same time usually tending the camp fire with brown pop in hand....you know....man time ;). Anyways I felt the Bradley was like making ice in the freezer...you know open the door put it in and come back in a few hours.......blah, blah, blah. Not a lot of challenge and only OK product. I also like to tinker and mod stuff so getting into the Performer satisfied both needs. I learned about brining, coal types, minion methods, fire bricks, vent adjustments, how to NOT over smoke, all sorts of stuff to keep the mind working and hands busy. I guess what I'm saying is YES the kettle has been more work but for me it's a labor of love. I get to tinker outside, smell good smoke, mod stuff just generally be more connected to the cook vs. the Bradley and the result is way better Q. Anyways, my 2 cents. And great forum by the way, you guys have helped me a lot.

Last edited:
I hear so many people comment that they do not have time to smoke because you have to tend the smoker. These people seem to move towards the more automatic smokers. I love my WSM because it forces me to slow down and relax.

Mike

Ditto what Mike said....

There are two books to read that parallel learning the basics in running your WSM. 'A Gift of Wings', and 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'. A gift of Wings basically teaches the difference between flying a plane from learning physics combined with the feeling in the seat of your pants, vs. a commercial pilot flying by instrumentation. See the parallel? 'Zen'; I'm sure more folks are familiar with, and it is basically about getting in 'tune' with whatever you are doing. Anything it takes to get rave reviews from your eating audience is AOK. 'There are many roads that lead into town'.

Back