Latest Software: LinkMeter v13 and firmware

If it's the first B+ version then the software version for the A+ will work fine. I believe that's what I used when I made the first smd version.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just replacing those files, on screen I get a larger raspberry in the top left, a cursor and a brief lightning bolt in the top right. Then nothing...

I tried replacing all the files from that repo, apart from config.txt, cmdline.txt and kernel7.img. Like that, Linux boots, but it's running a pretty different kernel, so it can't find the serial port device, stuff in /proc, etc. I tried restoring the HM kernel.img, but then it doesn't boot at all.

I do not know what the issue could be. I just tried downloading that .gz file, writing it to a micro SD, and popped it in my B+ (which is Revision 0010 as well but the serial number starts with 78 but I am not certain if they go in order). Works great, came right up, I can press enter and do stuff, no problems.

I also grabbed another B+ from my box (you'd be surprised how many Pis I have) which I bought off a user who was having issues with it browning out on boot. It also works with no kernel oops. It is Revision 0013. I am at a complete loss how it could not work for you.

Well the lightning bolt icon indicates a "Low voltage" situation, so maybe the OpenWrt kernel is more sensitive to power sags and crashes? That is a possibility. You might also comment out the gpu_mem, arm_freq, and all the other frequency settings in our config.txt. They might be overriding some defaults the bootloader normally sets and it is making you unstable.

Last edited:
Ok, I think I'm getting somewhere now :-D .

I borrowed a colleague's model B (non plus), and it all started up fine. Flashed the AVR, lit LEDs, etc. After tweaking the contrast pot, the LCD is now working too.

Back on my B+, I'd read that the LAN9514 USB hub & Ethernet chip was problematic when the board came out. I rebuilt OpenWRT and disabled kernel support for smsc95xx. With this it seems to boot fine, and I can log in on the console. Obviously, Ethernet doesn't work. I don't have a compatible wifi dongle yet (ordered), so I can't test the web API on the B+ yet.

I guess there must have been some slight revision to the USB Ethernet chip during the production run of the B+. Thanks for the responses and help on this.

All seems working now I've got a new wifi dongle. I'm still running my hacked up build though. Is there anything I can do to help get this working on the main build in case other B+ owners run into this issue?

I'm not really doing any more development or fixes to the v13 tree, it is on the edge of just not being able to be built by anyone new at all that it is an exercise in frustration. What does your hacked up build have apart from not having ethernet? It seems to be an extremely edge case because nobody has reported this issue in the 2 years that the Pi B+ has been out. Did you try disabling the overclocking in config.txt? It might be that when the ethernet driver turns on the ethernet, you're getting a voltage drop that is causing the crash? If you're seeing the lightning bolt icon, your power supply is a definite suspect in this case. The combination of the two might be putting you over the edge.

It all seems to be working OK with the official build now. I think you must be right about it being a power supply issue, as I can't think what else it could have been. I did try 3 different PSUs before, and the 2 smaller ones run it fine now. As you say, there was probably a combination of circumstances pushing it over the edge. Anyway, thanks for all the responses and apologies for the noise. Hopefully I'll get to do some cooking soon with it soon. It looks pretty awesome from what I've seen so far.

I haven't been around here much lately but I built a HeaterMeter about 1.5 - 2 years ago. Version 4.0 or 4.1 I believe... I have never updated the LinkMeter software on it since the original build. Is this current software build compatible with an older device? I would love to add ramp and hold to my current device.

Thanks for sharing your great work Bryan. I can't tell you how many people are amazed at this heatermeter when they see it in action.

Hello folks, proud new owner of a HeaterMeter 4.3 assembled by John Bostwick. I'm having some difficulty getting it working on my network so i'm hoping someone can help me figure this out. My internet service comes into the house on a cable modem, then the cable modem connects to a Cisco Wifi Router in my basement in my office. The router has one upstream connection to the cable modem and one downstream connection to an 8 port TPlink desktop switch, where i have all of my network peripherals plugged in. (Printer, NAS Drive, DesktopPC, HT PC etc) One of the 8 ports is connected to a cable that runs through the walls and up into the attic where i have a second TPLink wifi router (configured as an access point) positioned for better reception everywhere else in my house and outside. So i have a Downstairs network (the wireless router) SSID "FBI Surveillance Van #23" Then i have an upstairs wifi access point SSID "NSA Surveillance Drone #47" I can connect the HM via wifi to the downstairs network and see it at an IP handed out from the downstairs router 192.168.1.10X. But the downstairs wifi "FBI" does't have the range to reach my grill. So when i go through the Network/Wireless setup tab (https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/HeaterMeter-4.x-Software) in linkmeter and scan for networks i can see "NSA" and connect to it. Once i do that however, i can no longer find the HM on the network. I go to the http://heatermeter.com/devices/ and where before (when connected to "FBI")i would see the heatermeter with a 2016 serial number, it now just shows "Timeout" and when i refresh i get "Error". Also, once i do this, i am unable to recconect to the HM in order to reset the network settings, so then i have to take the box apart and remove the xd card, and manually change the network settings in config.txt with a usb card reader. (And for some reason this case i'm using is a total PITA to put the last screw in. It took me over 45 minutes to simply put in a single screw as the mating "captivated" nut in the case kept getting jammed off angle. Had to take the thing apart about 15 times. Very frustrating.)

First Question: How do i get this working on my upstairs router, as that's the one that has the range to reach my grill location?

Question 2: How do i configure the Linkmeter network settings to be able to connect to the HM from the WAN/Outside Internet?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Chris

Oh, you're one of "those" guys eh? :)

Does your upstairs AP have any "isolation" options enabled? This would prevent it from communicating with other wireless clients also connected to that AP.

No I don't think so. My kids have tablets and play Minecraft cooperatively frequently, so unless Minecraft can do something heater meter can't,i think that should be ok.

Last edited:
Ok I got the heater meter connected to the right access point and is working. I'll keep trying to set up access from the WAN. I don't understand how to set up a basic cook using the webui. I see how to set the target pit temp, but not how to set a target probe temp that shuts down the grill...

Click on the "Configure" link at the bottom of the home page.

Me, I set an alarm to alert me when the food is done, but I make it a point to be here when the smoker is running. There's a ramp or threshold setting that can be used to drop the chamber temp to a keep-warm value when the food is done (never tinkered with it, only been using an HM for a few months.)

You would use an alarm if you wanted to change the pit temp when a food probe reaches a certain temp. Two ways to do it really, first is for the food probe in question set a high alarm for the done temp, then in the setpoint value enter your desired "off" temp. When the food probe reaches the high trigger temp the alarm will sound and the pit will change to the setpoint value you entered. The second way would be to use the ramp and hold setup. In this case you would select the food probe you want to trigger from, set the trigger temp and then the hold temp value. When the food probe reaches the trigger temp the HM will start to ramp down the setpoint (in increments) until the pit is at the hold temp you entered.

Ok I got the alarms working. Sms and email. I tested and they work. I also entered some settings in the ramp section. However, after fiddling with the settings for alarms and ramps, I can't change the set point of the smoker. It's simply stuck on 200. I manually change it in the home page to 260, and hit enter. It stays on the screen for 5 seconds and then goes right back to 200. Ive done things about 15 times with no effect. Why is it getting stuck on a value and why wouldn't manually inputting a value override any other settings (alarm set points etc?). Also, when alarms were triggered the hm started an audible alarm and gave me a notification window on the home page. I clicked silence and it said it was "silencing" the alarm. However the HM continues to make an audible alarm until I physically hit a button on the unit. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I see now that you can also set the target pit temp in the configuration page. However, typing the pit temp into the home page is not updating the set point in the configuration page. If I change the value in the configuration page it WILL change the value on the home page. so why does that work one way and not the other?

Last edited:
Yeah it seems like the Home page thinks your logged in but when you're trying to do a "set" request (such as setpoint or alarm disable) the backend doesn't think you're logged in. I can't reproduce the behavior you're experiencing, which web browser / OS are you using?

Back