last weekends brisket

MikeD125

TVWBB All-Star
So attempted my first brisket last weekend. After reading the forum and people's nightmares I decided to do a variation of the hot and fast and would foil. Ran the smoker at 275F, foiled with beef broth at 160F, started checking for doneness (word?) around 185F. The brisket was 13.5lbs, wood was cherry, rub was homemade, injected with beef broth. At the end my wife was in charge of photos and forgot the sliced meat photos, my apologies. The brisket was moist and had a great smoke taste to eat. The leftovers were equally as good. Thanks to the guys who convinced me to go with the whole packer brisket (I was able to fit it on my 18.5 wsm) and answered some of my questions.

Starting off
IMG_9427.JPG

Rubbed down:

IMG_9429.JPG

IMG_9430.JPG

It fits! Barely....
IMG_9432.JPG

To block the sun and wind
IMG_9433.JPG

Wont get out of the sun..... I guess the food is safe
IMG_9434.JPG

Done

IMG_9437.JPG

nice. imho, could use a bit more bark, but then again, I didn't get to taste it :)

nice. imho, could use a bit more bark, but then again, I didn't get to taste it :)
Yeah probably had to do with the rub I used, its hard to find some of the spices and the stuff I ordered didn't arrive in time.:mad:

while i'm not saying you should do it all the time or to excess, keep in mind sugars will burn over time. ie-a bit more sugar in the rub may have resulted in a bit more bark if your rub was lacking..just a thought

Great looking brisket. Foiling will affect your bark. I personnelly detest sugar on beef but that's just me. You could use a mustard slather and then put your rub on which would also help bark formation. The mustard loses all its flavour when cooked. To me the flavour of the rub combined with the beef is more important than bark but I won't win any competitions like that.

Great looking brisket. Foiling will affect your bark. I personnelly detest sugar on beef but that's just me. You could use a mustard slather and then put your rub on which would also help bark formation. The mustard loses all its flavour when cooked. To me the flavour of the rub combined with the beef is more important than bark but I won't win any competitions like that.

Good point I usually use mustard but for whatever reason didnt this time. Thanks for the tip!

Nice job! Last brisket I did was about 16.5lbs, and it fit very well. Had to wedge it between the handles of the cooking grate.

Back