Last and First Brisket of 2023!

Brian Johnson

TVWBB Pro
About a week before Christmas I had a great idea to do an overnight brisket to have for dinner on Christmas Day! Suffice it to say, that didn't happen. I did, however buy the brisket and ended up cooking Wednesday night! It's been a week and I didn't note the specifics pre-cook, but I'm fairly certain I picked up a 16-17 lbs brisket from Costco.

I fired up the 18.5" WSM with a foil-wrapped water pan and prepped the meat while I waited for the smoker to get to temperature. Got it all trimmed and rubbed with unmeasured amounts of salt, black pepper, and garlic powder (forgot to add the onion powder even though it was sitting right in front of me on the counter... oh well!), and put it on the 18.5" WSM around 11:30.

20231228_065205437.jpg

I was shooting for 225°-250°F (with upper and lower alarms set at 260°F and 220°F, respectively), but once the meat got on and the smoker settled in around 260°F I was happy and went to bed around 1:30 am.

Around 3:00 am I was awakened to a low pit temp alarm. By the time I remembered where I was, got some sweats on so I wouldn't freeze, and made it out to the smoker, the pit was at 216°F. I opened the bottom vents a little to increase air flow and took a peak while I was there. Unfortunately, I took too long with the pics (give me a break it was 3 am - I wasn't really awake) and by 3:20 am the temp hit a peak of 290 °F. I made several adjustments and lightly dozed on the couch as the temp recovered and eventually stabilized before going back to bed at 4:00 am.

20231228_095911828.jpg

I woke up a couple times to look at my handy remote thermometer and by the time 7:30 am rolled around the brisket was definitely in the stall and the pit temp had dropped to about 225°F. At this point I snapped another picture and wrapped my brisket in butcher paper.

20231228_143601154.jpg 20231228_144101483.jpg
Of course, being so focused on wrapping the meat (see this was the first time I'd ever wrapped a brisket), I forgot to put the lid on while wrapping. So by the time I returned the brisket to the WSM and closed it up again, the pit temp had reached 300°F. Still not panicking, I completely closed one of the bottom vents. Twenty minutes or so later the pit temp stabilized and I tried to go back to bed for a while. Unfortunately we had a minor plumbing issue that roused me out of bed not 20 minutes later. Fortunately it was a simple "shut off the supply line - dry the floor - replace the supply line & make sure everything it tight" kind of repair, but after being sprayed with cold water I was wide awake for the day.

Plumbing issues aside, the cook was pretty uneventful. I added more charcoal to the WSM a couple of times over the next few hours, because I wasn't thinking and assumed my normal "add a few hot coals in the morning" routine I use for overnight pork butt cooks would suffice for a brisket. Next time I'll just do a hot squat and "top off" my fuel and hope that there's still enough room for proper air flow (aka not so much ash so as to snuff out the fire).

After the brisket reached about 195°F, I started probing for tenderness. Once I was pleased with how it was probing, I pulled the brisket of the WSM and rested on the counter for a few minutes before transferring it to a cooler for about an hour before slicing it up for dinner. In the meantime, I made some veggies & rolls to serve as sides. Then came slicing & eating.

The overall consensus was that it was really good, especially considering I hadn't cooked a brisket since mid-2019. Personally, I wish I had paid more attention to the composition of the rub, specifically I would have liked more black pepper. I also think I could have used one more chuck of smoke wood, though if I had to choose between more pepper and more smoke wood, I probably would go for the pepper because while I would have appreciated a stronger smoke profile it's not as if there was no smoke profile was non-existent.

Anyway. . . That was my cook. I will leave you now with some images of the finished product!

20231229_002227112~2.jpg

20231229_002554597.jpg

20231229_002509683.jpg 20231229_003853290.jpg

Happy New Year to my TVWBB family!

Attachments

• 20231228_143554229.jpg
    20231228_143554229.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
It looks great but I have one observation. Surely, you mean degrees F, not C. Your cooking temp of 260 degrees C is 500 degrees F and probing temp of 195 degrees C is about 383 degree F. If I’m wrong, I apologize in advance.

It looks great but I have one observation. Surely, you mean degrees F, not C. Your cooking temp of 260 degrees C is 500 degrees F and probing temp of 195 degrees C is about 383 degree F. If I’m wrong, I apologize in advance.
HAHAHA.... Yes Fahrenheit not Celsius! That's what happens when I write things up at or immediately after work (where all of my temperatures are in °C so I don't even think about it)!

Thanks for catching that! I was able to go back and change it.

Great job! 195 vs 203-205? Sounds like you got it right with the probe method.
How long did it cook for? Roughly 260 average?
Iirc a long cook at a lower temp, can facilitate a lower finishing temp. In addition to the holding/rest issues.
Well done.

This looks awesome, Brian. Great write-up, too. Rough night followed by huge success.
Thanks Tim. I appreciate the feedback.

Like I said, the cook itself was pretty smooth. I've done enough overnighters at this point that I'm pretty comfortable with them, and I kinda know what to expect when it comes to how the cooker will perform while I sleep. The key difference here, from the pork butts I more frequently cook, is the length of the cook and remembering that I should just refill the charcoal ring when I get up in the morning. Or at the very least not try to just add a dozen or so coals at a time. I felt kinda stupid about the 3rd time I went to add charcoal and finally did a hot squat only to see that there was essentially nothing but ash left! But after a quick "well no wonder" moment, I moved on.

One thing that I think I did learn/realize is that I really need to develop a procedure for dealing with hot ashes during a long cook like this. I know from personal experience that if the ash continues to accumulate it can impede airflow and make it impossible to keep a fire going. Several years ago I kept a metal can and a shovel nearby on long cooks just in case. But I have since moved and those tools are long gone.

Great job! 195 vs 203-205? Sounds like you got it right with the probe method.
How long did it cook for? Roughly 260 average?
Iirc a long cook at a lower temp, can facilitate a lower finishing temp. In addition to the holding/rest issues.
Well done.
Thanks Tony!

From past briskets I've learned that 190°F is about when I want to start checking for probe tender. On this particular cook, I was actually at Ace picking up a new supply line for the toilet when the temp alarm went off. Fortunately Ace isn't too far from home, but by the time I got back the temp had reached 195°. I never did pay any attention to the final temp, but I'd guess it was between 200-203° based on how long it stayed on after reaching 195°.

All in, I'd say the brisket cooked for about 16.5 hours at a rough average of 260°. That's about the sweet spot where my WSM settles naturally. I've learned not to fight it and adjust my expectations about when the food will be done. Though it's still annoying when someone asks "how long till it's done again?"

The end product looks just plain dandy! I like the 250-275 pit temp, get it stable, go to bed, make sure you have fresh underwear when you wake up and the whole thing has reached desired temp and you were hoping for that temperature to have NOT been reached for another four hours. Don’t ask!
Really, it is not an exact science, it is indeed a bit more “art and trust”! Good feasting is done only when it tells you it’s ready. We plan, God laughs!
Truly being flexible is the key to a good feast!!

Back