Large prime boneless rib roast (15 lbs) - cook as one or in two pieces?

Ryan Gardner

TVWBB Fan
After staring at the various assortment of rib roasts at my local Costco today, I decided on getting a full boneless prime rib roast. I've done a lot of bone-in in the past, but the current recipe-of-the-week at webernation.com got me thinking about trying out a boneless one.

I'm cooking for a mixed crowd of about 20 people - about 4 or 5 of them are in the "any pink in my meat means I wont eat it" and the rest can take various shades of red. For Prime Rib I'm usually on the rare side of what people consider "medium rare" side.

I've got a kettle and a smoker - I was thinking I'd just toss the thing on the wsm and set it at 350 and let it rip for about 3 or 4 hours until the middle gets to 125°F and by cooking at the slightly higher temp that the ends would then be more well done than they might otherwise be.

Any thoughts? Is my timing way off? The recipe of the week says it's 1 1/2 to 2 hours for a 5 1/2 lb boneless rib roast, and I have roughly triple that amount of meat. (It was cheaper to just get a whole vacuum-packed prime rib roast than it was to get two cut sections - $11.99/lb for the vacu pack vs $16.99 /lb for the cut sections)

Should I consider cutting it in half? I'm planning to tie this thing up before cooking it.

Anything else I might want to consider? (I'm going to try out that Prime Rib with Blue Cheese Crust and Shallot Jus recipe on weber nation - looks like it should be pretty interesting)

IMO, you'll get two well done ends, and two pieces of ~medium doing it that way from each roast. Timing depends on shortest distance to center, not overall weight, so cook time for a whole roast won't vary much from a 6lber.

Cutting it into smaller roasts will increase the number of pieces of well and medium you get and reduce your medium rare/rare pieces.

IMO, i'd do it as one, and then after slicing it i'd take a count of people that want theirs well done, then serve them hot dogs.

Last edited:
After staring at the various assortment of rib roasts at my local Costco today, I decided on getting a full boneless prime rib roast. I've done a lot of bone-in in the past, but the current recipe-of-the-week at webernation.com got me thinking about trying out a boneless one.

I'm cooking for a mixed crowd of about 20 people - about 4 or 5 of them are in the "any pink in my meat means I wont eat it" and the rest can take various shades of red. For Prime Rib I'm usually on the rare side of what people consider "medium rare" side.

I've got a kettle and a smoker - I was thinking I'd just toss the thing on the wsm and set it at 350 and let it rip for about 3 or 4 hours until the middle gets to 125°F and by cooking at the slightly higher temp that the ends would then be more well done than they might otherwise be.

Any thoughts? Is my timing way off? The recipe of the week says it's 1 1/2 to 2 hours for a 5 1/2 lb boneless rib roast, and I have roughly triple that amount of meat. (It was cheaper to just get a whole vacuum-packed prime rib roast than it was to get two cut sections - $11.99/lb for the vacu pack vs $16.99 /lb for the cut sections)

Should I consider cutting it in half? I'm planning to tie this thing up before cooking it.

Anything else I might want to consider? (I'm going to try out that Prime Rib with Blue Cheese Crust and Shallot Jus recipe on weber nation - looks like it should be pretty interesting)

I've never cooked a prime rib that big, but my inclination given the donenesss preferences of your audience would be to leave it whole. I'd also think about backing the temp down to 300 or 325. The hotter you cook, the bigger the difference between the inside and outside temps of the meat. At 350 for that big a chunk of meat I'd be a little concerned that you'd have a bunch of really well done meat, at the ends and the outside, and some really rare meat in the middle, Just my hunches, so YMMV.

I would cook it whole, and around 350deg. Pull at 125 internal and rest 30min. It sounds like you are already making au jus, so that will help remove the pink for those that don't like the natural juices. I have had luck dipping the slices that were too pink in very hot jus for about 2 minutes to remove the color, however the meat will still be juicy and great. I have been told on numerous occasions that my well done meat is the best they have ever had. They will be eating medium consistency that looks well done. Best of luck and Happy Holidays.

Brad - way back when I worked in a restaurant and that is what the chef/cooks did as well. Take out the color and still remain tender.

I just did a Bone In today, pulled it off at 125 and rested for 30 minutes, didn't temp it before carving, but was more medium than medium rare. Seems to have had too much carry over. I did put it in a cooler for the rest so maybe it should have sat on the counter instead, was still tasty and juicy and tender.

Back