Lard

Lance

TVWBB Super Fan
I know that lard really helps with baking and was wondering about how to make it. I saw a link about how to make lard from Kevin. I have a couple of questions. Kevin recommends starting with 5lbs but how much lard does that make? I am not sure I want to start with that much lard for a test run. Does the lard flavor depend on the breed of pig or does the location of the fat change the flavor? Can I use trimmings from a boston butt, etc to make lard? How long can you store lard? Can you freeze it? How "bad" is lard for you?
Lance

How to render lard

lardDSC_2040.jpg

But the best thing about lard is that it’s not bad for you. It has less saturated fat (the bad fat) than butter, while it also has more than twice as much monosaturated fat (the good fat) than butter. And it has none of those pesky trans fats—that is, if it hasn’t been hydrogenated to prolong its shelf life.

And that, my friends, is the problem. Most lard you find at the grocery store has been hydrogenated to make it shelf stable indefinitely, which robs it of its good qualities. Some butchers will sell freshly rendered lard that has not been hydrogenated (clue: if it’s not refrigerated than it’s not the good kind of lard), but it’s also quite simple to render it yourself.

Lance-- It will make 2.5-4 lbs, depending on how much lean you're dealing with and whether you completely render all the fat or just most of it.

It is very easy to make. The process I note on the thread you link to is somewhat more involved than the process on the thread Steve links to - but I like lard that is light tasting and near white, so I go with an extra step (noted in the post downthread - the one with the pics - where I place the rendered fst into containers with plenty of water, pouring off the water the next day then melting and straining again).

I use more water than most during the initial rendering. This not only makes the process virtually foolproof, it is gentler and the heat transfer is more efficient. Though I mention using 1/3 the volume on smaller batches I find it works better to simply use a smaller pot and stick with the 1/2 volume of water I recommend for larger batches.

You could start with 2.5-3 lbs if you wish. Yes, you can use shoulder trimmings, but I'd recommend grabbing a piece of fatback or two from your local carnecería and adding it to the pot, skin removed first of course.

Yup. Wrap tightly and and freeze.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">skin removed first of course </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No practical application of the process. Why is that significant?

Because you want to remove the skin so that you can chop the fat well, so it renders better and in less time. And to avoid the skin flavoring the lard. (The skin can be turned into chichsrrones, but for that you'd want to remove most of the fat anyway.)

So as the fat renders the skin will impart a flavor that is unwelcome ? Or is it that by imparting any flavor the lard becomes less neutral?

" chichsrrones" that sounds interesting.

Would there be any advantage to putting the fatback through the coarse blade of a food grinder before rendering?

Rita

Marc,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So as the fat renders the skin will impart a flavor that is unwelcome ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if you as you mention you wish the lard to be more neutral. The lard flavored by pork skin wouldn't be preferred by most in making a pie crust for example. Neutral flavored lard is more universal in it's applications.

Chicharrones are tasty. Deep fried pork skin/rind seasoned with salt. When I worked in a restaurant, I used to make them with chicken skin also. They were a treat for kitchen staff to snack on. I quickly found out that keeping your dish washers happy ensured you got a fast turn around on clean skillets, pans, etc.
icon_wink.gif

Paul

Agreed. (Sorry Marc. Missed your question.)

Your kitchen will be redolent of roasted pork during rendering - even without the skin and with minimal lean - but this does not mean the lard will be especially porky, especially if you take it to a lighter finish using the method I mention upthread and at the link noted. The lard will be near white and rather neutral. Perfect for savory or sweet biscuits and shortcakes, crusts, etc.

Kevin,
Why do you recommend fatback? Is it because it has a large amount of fat or is there another reason? I am sure there is a time you would want non-neutral lard but I can't think of one. Does the breed or how the pig is raised effect the lard? I am thinking that an organic pig would either taste different or have a difference in nutritional value or is all fat the same?
Everyone, thanks for replying. It has been busy since I posted the original question.
Lance

Yes, I suggested fatback because it has a lot of fat. It will allow you to start the project sooner.

The only times I want non-neutral lard is for, say, finishing pork confit for service, sometimes for fries - but it is easy to add pork flavor to near neutral lard for those rare moments.

Breed and diet can certainly affect flavor (and raw fat color) but this is more noticeable when eating the cooked meat and fat, not so much with the lard. Differences in nutritional value, if any, would be minor.

Back