Lake Murray, Oklahoma trip

MikeLucky

TVWBB Pro
Got here and setup the camper tonight. First camping trip with the new pup.

IMG_20220722_200552157_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220720_171736538_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220722_200656960_HDR.jpg

Burn ban so can't use my Jumbo Joe. Thankfully I'm always grill prepared. Gas Go Anywhere.

IMG_20220722_195023494_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220722_200442273_HDR.jpg

Wife made German potato salad to go with the brats on pretzel buns and the beer kraut.

IMG_20220722_211307178.jpg

Gotta stay hydrated in this heatIMG_20220722_204258233_HDR.jpg

+100! Love the coors light!

I wish I knew how to camp or glamp.
Spend roughly $100k on a camper and tow vehicle. Lol. Then it's easy.

That's just how we did it. There are other ways. We invested in the camper because we both work remotely so we can travel and work at the same time. It was easy to justly the expense at that point. Once we started traveling in our camper, there's really no better way to travel. We get to sleep in our own bed no matter where we are and get to bring our pup every time.

Good eye, Lynn!

Standing on the boat ramp at Tipps Point and looking west, there's another point. I won a bass tournament on that point in 2001. Caught a nice 7 pounder to go with 4 small ones and won by 1 pound.

And my personal best has come from Murray, I got 9.2# there in March 1994, but that was near the North Boat Ramp area. I won that tournament also.

Love that lake, just did not get to fish it as often as I'd liked to. It was a pretty good trip just for a day's fishing.

Looks awesome, I’d like to get a trailer or small RV one day.

We started with a small teardrop camper just to make sure it was something we would like. We ended up taking that little camper from Malibu, to Colorado, Texas, Mississippi, NOLA, and everywhere in between. After covid we upgraded to a 20 foot camper they has a full bathroom and more room inside for us to spend time when the weather wasn't cooperative or when it's just cold. For us it's the only way to travel now.

Standing on the boat ramp at Tipps Point and looking west, there's another point. I won a bass tournament on that point in 2001. Caught a nice 7 pounder to go with 4 small ones and won by 1 pound.

And my personal best has come from Murray, I got 9.2# there in March 1994, but that was near the North Boat Ramp area. I won that tournament also.

Love that lake, just did not get to fish it as often as I'd liked to. It was a pretty good trip just for a day's fishing.

That's awesome. I don't fish so we just hang out in the clear water and drink. Lol.

Are the campgrounds filling up ? I've heard its tough to get a spot on Murray in the summertime. I was always there in March and April.

That one pic of the Smokey Joe on the picnic table reminds me of the 80's and 90's when I would take my daughters camping. I put the Smokey Joe on the picnic table and I still have the Smokey Joe. It was made in 1983.

Are the campgrounds filling up ? I've heard its tough to get a spot on Murray in the summertime. I was always there in March and April.

That one pic of the Smokey Joe on the picnic table reminds me of the 80's and 90's when I would take my daughters camping. I put the Smokey Joe on the picnic table and I still have the Smokey Joe. It was made in 1983.
Every summer my wife gets online and tries to book as many weekends as our schedule allows for a waterfront spot. This year she found all of 2 weekends, 2 weekends ago and this weekend.

2 weekends ago this place was crawling. Every RV spot was full and the tent camping area in the front of the campground was pretty full. There was constant traffic on the lake as well This weekend all the waterfront spots are taken but there are empty RV spots and wasn't a single person in the tent camping area. Boats and watercraft are much more sparse. It's tax free weekend so maybe that's why people aren't here as much.

Even in early spring, I saw lots of Texas license plates at Murray. I was told there's even more in the summer.

Haven't been camping in 25 years, but when we went it always slowed down in August. Generally it was really hot and school was getting ready to start, but probably people have just had their appetite sated ..... until Labor Day weekend. That was what I figured.

Back then, we could not reserve camping spots. Wonder what took so long to come up with that good idea. We spent most of our time on Eufaula at the Porum and Brooken Cove campgrounds. The lower end of Eufaula is really nice.

Even in early spring, I saw lots of Texas license plates at Murray. I was told there's even more in the summer.

Haven't been camping in 25 years, but when we went it always slowed down in August. Generally it was really hot and school was getting ready to start, but probably people have just had their appetite sated ..... until Labor Day weekend. That was what I figured.

Back then, we could not reserve camping spots. Wonder what took so long to come up with that good idea. We spent most of our time on Eufaula at the Porum and Brooken Cove campgrounds. The lower end of Eufaula is really nice.
I suspect the gas prices kept most folks closer to home for vacations this year, which contributed to the campsites being pretty booked up this year.

We've been to Eufaula, Texoma, and Tenkiller. But, the wife really only likes Murray with the clear water.

I suspect the gas prices kept most folks closer to home for vacations this year, which contributed to the campsites being pretty booked up this year.

We've been to Eufaula, Texoma, and Tenkiller. But, the wife really only likes Murray with the clear water.

Yes, its different. Down at the dam, ya can see the bottom in 20 ft of water. Not much like that around here. Tenkiller was that clear at one time, I'm not so sure any more.

Fishing is actually better further up the lake where the water is not so clear.

Back