Labor Day Weekend, Who's Smokin?

Toby Keil

TVWBB All-Star
Anyone plan on smoking over the Labor Day weekend and if so, Whatchya going to smoke? I think I'm going to do a 7.5 pound pork butt and possibly a brisket if I can find one on Saturday then on Sunday smoke two halved chickens and some other goodies I can find.

Great question...I am undecided...likely either a brisket or chuck, I have 6 lbs of PP in the freezer....

DECIDED....Brisket. Found a place in Eastern Market in Detroit, mainly wholesale place Fairway Meat Packing, but they also sell to the public. Picked up a Choice, Black Angus 14.6lb packer for $2.09...by far the best price I have seen around here.....now which rub, which rub??

Ribs and chicken,
wsmsmile8gm.gif

As an ODU alum, I'll be going to their first football game ever on Saturday. Coming back to the real world on Sunday, I'll see how the hangover gods are treating me...I'll either be throwing something on the WSM/OTG/brand new Performer or sleeping away my attempt at being 21 years old again.
icon_eek.gif

Originally posted by Don Cash:
... or sleeping away my attempt at being 21 years old again.

LMAO!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Burgers, dogs and COTC on the RK for the celebratory end of Summer .. Fall starts next week up here! LOL!!

Bill

Originally posted by Toby Keil:
Anyone plan on smoking over the Labor Day weekend and if so, Whatchya going to smoke? I think I'm going to do a 7.5 pound pork butt and possibly a brisket if I can find one on Saturday then on Sunday smoke two halved chickens and some other goodies I can find.

Found a 14 pound brisket packer at Smart and Final, sure hope it fits on the WSM.

Harris Teeter has a VIC sale on pork butts for 88 cents so... gonna do 4 butts low and slow on Sunday evening for the big family picnic on Monday! Rubbing with Kevin's butt rub and finishing with his Kinda Carolina sauce. Serving with modified No 5 and several sides (baked beans, corn on the grill).

I'm working the weekend, but off tomorrow. Got a packer to cook. Still deciding between overnight and HH ... done the last few HH, not done an overnight for quite a while and the weather will be great ... I think it'll be an overnighter.

I've got a family wedding that is eating into my long weekend (in-laws, god love'em).

It's on Sunday night. If I'm in any shape to put together the smoker after a few hours of open bar access, I might throw on a butt. We went through the freezer supply this week.

Hoping to smoke something this weekend!

Might be time to finally try first fatty over the weekend.

This weekend will probably just be doing pork steaks on the Performer.
A local grocer has pork butt on sale for $0.89/lb so I will buy several. The family is coming to visit in two weeks. Can't feed the herd any cheaper than that and it's a good excuse to do an overnighter.

No plans for the WSM this weekend but the Performer will get a workout.

SO's family in town so I'll be grilling and smoking: Ribs, roadside chicken, fatty, burnt ends and brats and maybe a butt or two just in case. Should have two smokers and two grills going, sounds like fun to me!

cookin up 25 lbs of salamon we brought home from alaska.

Smoked Cardogs Style
smoked Jamaican Jerk Style
Grilled
Blackened

Originally posted by G Dechaine:
I've got a family wedding that is eating into my long weekend (in-laws, god love'em).

Long weekend wedding - ouch...

Sunday I'm going to put on some ribs for an early dinner after taking my duaghter to the local pool.
And hope to fire up the OTS on Monday for some nice steaks. Its been too long and too many reno jobs this past month, my backyard's missing the sweet scent of burning charcoal!

Back