Korean Style Short Ribs

flanken cut is when the short ribs are not cut into individual ribs, but where you cut across the bones into about 1/2' lengths (see in pic 4 0r 5 1/2" length bones on each piece of meat). This allows you to have a thin piece of meat that will cook quickly on the grill (instead of braising the larger short rib). Your butcher should know what flanken is.

We belong to BJ's (warehouse club), and the butcher there will cut short ribs flanken-style for us. I'd imagine Sam's or Costco would have a butcher willing to do the same. It's a lot cheaper than the Korean grocery store.

Peter that looks absolutely delicious, I do not know about these ribs. What exactly is meant by flanken and what would you order from your butcher. And would you share a recipe on the pot stickers?
Well done.

Flanken is just cutting them horizontally instead of vertically, which is the more typical way you see short ribs.

We improvised the pot stickers -

There was about 1.5 lbs of ground pork,
about 1/3 cup finely chopped carrot (if you don't have the patience to chop small you could grate them)
about 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
about a cup of chopped cabbage
about 2 Tbl chopped ginger
about 2 Tbl chopped garlic
ground p

just remember, the stuff needs to be chopped up small

mix the stuff together - I think we threw an egg in there for binding - let set in the fridge for a couple of hours to firm up a bit
form the pot stickers
We put them in pot of just under boiling water that had some fish sauce and soy sauce in it - let them cook for about 6 minutes. Then Doris browned them in a pan. You can do this, or just serve them in the broth. We made some spicy dipping sauce and hot mustard to bob them in..

Nice Peter. I've never had that cut before. I'd love to give it a try. Did you cut them that way yourself?

I did not - if you don't see this cut, you can ask your butcher - They'll know what it is.

Peter, your cooking looks SENSATIONAL!
and the photo of your dog looks scary:eek:

Thank you sir! Hey, she's a sweety! Actually, some people do get a bit freaked out by her. (maybe her eyes?) My wife and I take in unwanted dogs. Roxy was at a no-kill shelter for 2 years! She was an angry girl in her youth, but we trained her up pretty well - we've had her now for about 12 years, and she's now nothing more than a big old sweet heart.

Very nice cook! I do this often too, on the hibachi. My wife and I love kalbi.
I often find flanken cuts at local supermarkets for $4.99/lb and I've also paid as much as $8.99/lb at my local Korean supermarkets as well, similar quality and tenderness.

Back