Kitchen Aid meat grinder and sausage stuffer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

We have one of those big $250 Kitchen Aid mixers with the fitting for various attachments. Can get a meat grinder locally for $40 and sausage stuffer for $10 (probably a bit less on Amazon). These attachments worth it? The Kitchen Aid is really strong and I bet it'll last forever.

I was trimming some ribs this weekend and throwing the "waste" meat down the garbage disposer and thought it was quite a waste. Would be nice to grind it up for sausage or meatloaf or whatever, but I never messed with a grinder before.

The answer probably depends on how much you're going to be using it.

A friend got into sausage making a year ago and debated between spending $100-150 on a dedicated grinder or getting the attachments for his older Kitchen Aid. He opted for the cheaper route and went with the Kitchen Aid.

This turned out to be a bit of false economy because he eventually burnt out the Kitchen Aid. He now has a dedicated grinder AND a new Kitchen Aid.

If you plan on only occasional use, the attachments will probably get you by. But, brace yourself for getting lots of flak from the War Dept. should her mixer go up in smoke, regardless of whether it's actually your fault.

Jason,

For whatever it's worth, Emeril was using the setup you described last night. If it's good enough for him.....

Rich

Jason
At this time I'm using the Kitchen Aid setup you are talking about but I will be getting a dedicated grind cause the Kitchen Aid will go south if I work it too hard.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back