Kingsford Smokehouse Wood Briquets

Mike JP

Anybody use these new (or at least new to me) smokehouse wood briquests from Kingsford instead of wood chunks
? Such as these: http://www.kingsford.com/products/details/kingsford-smokehouse-style-with-hickory/

I bought these in a pinch since I was on the clock in getting Mother's Day dinner prepared, and didn't have time to run to more than the supermarket. They had these with the charcoal. I hate buying charcoal at the supermarket, btw, but such is the price for last minute husband planning. Anyway, I picked up these briquettes since I was out of wood and couldn't get to the grillin' store.

I was very pleasantly surprised. I used a handful of these scattered on top and in my charcoal ring when I smoked some ribs, and I thought they turned out great. Good, consistent smoke taste and the best smoke ring I've had in my two seasons of smoking. For ease of use, ease of finding and predictabilty of results, these seem like a great way to go. And you can't beat the convenience of restocking at the supermarket. When I've used chunks of wood, it's always a bit of a guessing game since the chunks are all shapes and sizes. I am working through the rest of this bag, but I'm liking it so far.

Don't be afraid to give these a try.

I've seen them but never tried them. Are they just compressed sawdust shaped into a briquette form ?

Tim

I'm not a fan of Hickory but I was just thinking about trying something like these just for a small amount of smoke mixed in when you don't want a lot like making pizzas etc just a hint of wood fired taste.

I've seen them but never tried them. Are they just compressed sawdust shaped into a briquette form ?

Tim

I think that's about right. They have small, thin reeds of wood in them too, so a little more than just sawdust, but essentially you're right.

Sort of like pellets on steroids. Why not good old fashioned real wood chunks? Should be cheaper too.

Back