Kingsford must send bad charcoal to ca

I disagree it being cheap charcoal, its just the other charcoals are way overpriced.

Yea, I should rephrase that.. It's the cheapest charcoal out there,( when they have the clearing out the warehouse sales.) Otherwise the regular price is comparable to other charcoals.

Tim

For what it's worth...I work at Home Depot and can tell you that when the big sales are coming, KBB is all over the place...always shrink wrapped and stored inside. Never had a problem in my WSM hitting the temps I'm after including high heat cooks.

If people really knew what that stuff was made out of. It would make you puke.
People do know what's in the product. I wrote an article about it: http://virtualweberbullet.com/charcoal.html#briquette

Wood char, mineral char, mineral carbon, limestone, starch, borax, sodium nitrate, sawdust.

Each ingredient is explained in the above linked article. Each ingredient has a purpose.

Here's the list of ingredients in Wonder Bread. Scarier than Kingsford?

Wheat Flour Enriched ( Flour , Barley Malt , Ferrous Sulfate [ Iron ] , Vitamin B [ Niacin Vitamin B3 , Thiamine Mononitrate Vitamin B1 { Thiamin Vitamin B1 } , Riboflavin Vitamin B2 { Riboflavin Vitamin B2 } , Folic Acid Vitamin B9 ] ) , Water , Corn Syrup High Fructose , Contains 22% or less , Wheat Gluten , Salt , Soybeans Oil , Yeast , Calcium Sulphate , Vinegar , Monoglyceride , Dough Conditioners ( Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate , Calcium Dioxide ) , Soy Flour , Diammonium Phosphate , Dicalcium Phosphate , Monocalcium Phosphate , Yeast Nutrients ( Ammonium Sulfate ) , Calcium Propionate , To Retain Freshness

Im not trying to bad mouth them.They are a super successful company. I've been in the industry for over ten yrs now. If people really knew what that stuff was made out of. It would make you puke.

You can say the same thing about almost all processed food products and even unprocessed foods have set limits for the number of bugs that are allowable at retail.
When it comes to lump charcoal slapping 'natural' on a label means nothing other than it has natural printed on the label.
Plenty of waste lumber in those lump charcoal bags.

I'm not having a lick of trouble with *any* of the Kingsford I purchased, but that said, I just started using it recently (July 2014, along with my new to me WSM) with any regularity. I always bought what ever was the least expensive, and in the past 16 years shopping at Publix grocers, it's been their store brand of charcoal and now that I'm using Kingsford Blue, I wont ever go back to the Publix brand of charcoal. For me, Kingsford has been a superior product. Burns longer, cleaner, far more consistency

Anyways, when Home Depot (Ocala Fla.) had their Labor Day sale (40 lbs. for $10), I bought 400 lbs. of Kingsford Blue. I'm storing it in an enclosed indoor room up at my pole barn. I'm able to hit high temps using it so no complaints there...

I'm thinking the OP got ahold of some off product. Not unheard of in any industry, speaking of which, back in the 90's, I worked for a company owned by Clorox and they treated us very well. I have no plans to use any other brand of charcoal but admittedly, lately I've been kicking around trying my hand at making my own charcoal. If you're unfamiliar with the process, do a search for it. Sounds like a fun project to me and I'm on the look out for a free 55 gallon lidded metal can to cook it in, and yes, I have plenty of oak to use to turn into charcoal

get consistently good results with Kingsford even with all the humidity and dampness in South Louisiana. I stock up at the sales at HD and Lowes and have no problem.

On one filled ring of KBB in my WSM I cooked some beef short ribs, killed that fire, a week later cooked some high heat wings for 2 hours, and two weeks after that with it having rained pretty heavily in the area cooked some baby backs for 5 hours. Granted I had the cover on in between cooks but those covers are notoriously leaky. So the charcoal definitely was exposed to some humidity. I used fresh charcoal to start the minion method for the third cook. MAYBE it took slightly longer to get going and I was only cooking at 230 to 240.

It's easy to try to blame the charcoal but my guess is something else was at play.

I use a full basket of charcoal
Full to the point that it's touching the bottom of the defuser? After you dumped you chimney full onto your coals, do you put your WSM together? Are the vents fully opened? I saw where you said you had to leave your door off just to hold 235, that just seems crazy.

I have an 18" WSM, for my long cooks, my charcoal does not reach the top of my stock ring. When I dump my lit charcoal onto my bed of charcoal, I probably only dump maybe 10 pieces, and they're red hot because I put my chimney on my side burner for about 5 minutes. After I dump in the lit charcoal, I wait another 5 or minutes before I put my WSM together and my bottom vents are full open until I get to temp for cooking. That's when I close them all to about 33% open, and then put the food in

That's worked for me for a long time, way before I had a WSM, I did the same with my elcheapo brinkman. Charcoal is such a basic product, I can't believe the problems you're having is a QA issue with Kingsford. Something is askew

It's easy to try to blame the charcoal but my guess is something else was at play.

Nothing else other than bad charcoal, I am no expert cook but I have logged over 100 cooks on my webers during the past 4 years. Have not run into this problem until the end of the season last year. With kingsford comp I have no issue maintaining temps. I will chalk this up to bad charcoal.

Full to the top of the basket the center is full of lit coals. I wait about 10 mins before assembling the smoker. All vents 100% open. During the last cook all vents remained open and the door was off, max temp was 235-240. Gotta be a bad batch of charcoal.

Way back when I bought my WSM I also bought a bag of Kingsford charcoal, it wouldn't burn or get hot even when I used a plumbing torch or a hair dryer on it. That was my last bag, talked to my friend at Ace where I bought it and he said they had to throw all of the stock in the store away for the same reason, here's my conclusion, for what's it's worth, it was shipped in a 40" container, when the containers go bad they sell them and they are all over the place here, the ones I've been in are very humid, so that shipment probably came in a container on it's last voyage, I've recently bought a MT charcoal grill and have been wanting to try the Kingsford again, my friend at Ace has assure me they don't have that problem anymore and when a shipment arrives it is sold very quickly, ...could it be the store where you bought it maybe has a used container they use to store their charcoal?

Back