Kingsford Competition Charcoal vs. Royal Oak

LeoP.

TVWBB Member
So I have discovered a flaw with Royal Oak and my Kettle, RO is in such small pieces most of time it all falls thru the bottom grate into the catch pan. My question is how does the Kingsford Competition charcoal compare to Royal Oak? I think going to a briquette vs. the lump charcoal will reduce my wasted charcoal and I am always looking for a hotter burning fuel! Thoughts?

Are you comparing Royal Oak lump to Kingsford competition briquettes? If you use another charcoal grate with the grates crossing each other to make
little squares, your small pieces wont get through and be wasted.

I use Kingsford Comp over Kingsford Blue however, I can't compare the KC to Royal Oak because I've never used RO. Now to compare KC over KB, KC in my opinion burns hotter, burns cleaner (not like that nasty smell you get when starting KB) and starts faster. Yes KC cost more but when it comes to what I'm cooking and how I cook it, my tools and product are high on my priority list. I hope this gives you a little insight to KC LeoP.

Bill

I use Kingsford Comp over Kingsford Blue however, I can't compare the KC to Royal Oak because I've never used RO. Now to compare KC over KB, KC in my opinion burns hotter, burns cleaner (not like that nasty smell you get when starting KB) and starts faster. Yes KC cost more but when it comes to what I'm cooking and how I cook it, my tools and product are high on my priority list. I hope this gives you a little insight to KC LeoP.

Bill

yeah I like my smoke flavor to come from the wood I use. Using KC is my nod to wanting to use something semi "natural" and KC definitely smells cleaner when burning. so that's why I use KC though I must admit I've never tasted a difference in the final product using KB or KC. I have noticed a "charcoal" smoke flavor using lump which isn't necessarily bad, but I prefer the taste of cherry, apple, etc. it's also frankly easier to use than lump, obviously cheaper (no wasted briquettes), and burns more consistently (I've had the occasional flair up problem with lump).

royal oak still coming with stones, rocks and huge hunks of asphalt in their bags?
the main reason I stopped buying it....

We always used RO lump until this year when we were fortunate to be sponsored by Royal Oak. This year we are using their briquettes named Chef's Select. This is a professional product not generally available at retail, but if you look, it can be found and is worth the effort. Beats Kingsford hands down, even the Kingsford Comp. Do yourself a favor and find some. All hardwood, no coal in it, and the binder is corn starch, not the stuff other companies use. It has ridges like the Royal Oak Briquettes, but larger size. Great product.

royal oak still coming with stones, rocks and huge hunks of asphalt in their bags?
the main reason I stopped buying it....

Yep, sure is. Always at least one rock per bag, from my experience. It's like finding the toy in the cereal, but not as much fun.

Used the Kingsford Competition tonight for steaks, I'm sold! It burns a lot more even then lump and really hot. Steaks turned out great!!! :blackkettle:

We always used RO lump until this year when we were fortunate to be sponsored by Royal Oak. This year we are using their briquettes named Chef's Select. This is a professional product not generally available at retail, but if you look, it can be found and is worth the effort. Beats Kingsford hands down, even the Kingsford Comp. Do yourself a favor and find some. All hardwood, no coal in it, and the binder is corn starch, not the stuff other companies use. It has ridges like the Royal Oak Briquettes, but larger size. Great product.
I have had good luck with the RO Chef's Select too. I have been buying it online from Do it Best Hardware. I have heard that it is available at Restaurant Depot also.

Back