Kingsford Charcoal Kaddy users -- put the bag in, or just the charcoal?

Tom Henderson

TVWBB Member
Hello charcoal mavens...

A friend gave me his older 22.5" OT kettle, so I'm giving the charcoal side of grilling a try.

So I picked up some charcoal and one of the Kingsford CHarcoal Kaddy's for storage.

One dumb question.. for those of you that use these containers, do you pour in the charcoal, or put in the entire bag?

Seems like just pouring in the charcoal would be easiest, but the label and some online comments suggest many put in the bag into the container. That requires cutting off the top part of the bag, which is easy enough but I'm not sure I see the benefit.

But I'm a noob and don't know much, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!

-Tom in SoCal

I put the bag in the caddy attached to my Performer. It's easy to pull the bag out and dump the amount you need in the grill or the baskets.

A 20lb bag of Kingsford fits perfectly in My Performers charcoal bin. Super easy to just pull bag out, pour in what I need and put back in bin. I think those charcoal caddy's are about the same size. I like to think that keeping the coal in the bag, helps keep moisture to a minimum.

I put the 20lb bag in and cut off the top like it suggests. Seems cleaner and keeps the charcoal dust from building up.

DOH! Guess I didn't read the directions--I just got a Kaddy and I just dumped in the contents of a 20lb bag.

I have one of those charcoal caddys that I use for travel. I also put the bag inside the caddy; keeps it cleaner that way. Whatever works for you.

I have 2, one for lump charcoal (out of the too large to fit bag) and one for odds and ends, propane bottles, etc.
Kbb is kept in the Performer's storage bin, other brands/types are in the garage.

IMGP0282.JPG

Well never thought to use the bag the charcoal comes in and put that in the kaddy. I put a plastic trash bag as a liner in the kaddy but the KBB bag sounds like a much better idea.
I store my smoking wood in the performers storage bin.

I use 33 gallon Brute plastic garbage cans with lid..one for kkb and one for "Wicked Good" lump. I keep them in the bags, and have a metal fed scoop in each can. Works for me!

LOL. I bought mine used from a garage sale. I never even considered cutting the top of the bag and putting it into the kaddy.......but yeah.......thats clearly the better way to go. How did I manage to screw up something that should have been so obvious. LOL.

Back