Kettle Ribs

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I have been trying forever to make good kettle ribs. I finally got there. These weren't Robert T kettle ribs, but they were pretty good and they were gone in minutes.

For this cook, I brought out the 1977 daisy wheel kettle. I like this BBQ, because it thinks it's a smoker. You can close the daisy wheels up and get WSM action out of a kettle

CF23CEB3-6388-4259-87DB-960C684225F9_zpssvukxycx.jpg

The ribs in rub

C8EABC36-B67B-4A1E-ACE1-B996D1D9F127_zps49u7qek2.jpg

The mop sauce ingredients

914C8B5F-9091-432E-814A-AB8E0F4BF4B4_zpsy8teq11b.jpg

Let the cook begin

C548D4B8-28EC-4585-9712-BB7EFDD00F2B_zpsuum5nbm7.jpg

Mop stop

02D0C55B-61C3-42BE-A5B1-DD9787CD1A92_zps4t2to7es.jpg

EEA265D6-F308-4FC2-B143-5DF5DB81A2C9_zpswo1yzcmu.jpg

4.5 hours later

07FDBC59-59EA-41CD-9E64-E87626734B9F_zpsuuenfztx.jpg

These were good

02D7C0EE-2564-4DF7-99D8-2BAEB009572B_zpsrnv0khqn.jpg

Really happy to finally get WSM ribs out of a kettle. From now on, kettle ribs will be cooked on the 1977. I did have a problem getting one of the zones to light. By the time I finally got it going, ribs were done, LOL

I have done many ribs on the Kettle, it works out great!!! Yours looks very tasty!!! Nice! Great job!!!

Wow Chuck! Those are some great looking ribs! Great job my friend. I know I couldn't do it any better! That mop sauce is decadent!

I actually prefer BB's on the kettle vs. the smoker. Something about the bark that develops on ribs on the kettle with a "shorter" cook like this. Great stuff!

I think I actually prefer doing ribs on the kettle. Yours look excellent. Gonna have to try that mop sauce.

Look great Chuck. I like the wooden skewers for rib spacing on your rack holder. I just started doing ribs on my Performer instead of my WSM and also like the results. How long was your cook and at what temp did you cook if you know?

Chuck, those ribs are to die for fantastic job as always. Now pass some this way Please.

I do ribs on the performer with HH per Mr. Lampe's method and have had excellent results. Guess I'll give a low and slow a try and see how it goes, because yours sure look good.

I know I couldn't do it any better! That mop sauce is decadent!
Are you kidding? You are the kettle rib Jedi. It's because of you, I've been doing ribs on the kettle and not on the WSM. The WSM is too easy, the kettle requires some skill. I've been trying to do a 3 zone kettle cook, I'm going to do like you and just do the two zone cook. I couldn't get one side to light to save my life. I dumped fully lit coals on the side that wouldn't light 3 times, and it never did catch until I pulled the ribs off.

Thank you everyone else for the kind comments. I was really happy with these ribs. They had great crust, they came off the bone clean, and extremely tender. Without a doubt my favorite kettle ribs, and maybe my best ribs, including those cooked on the WSM

Are you kidding? You are the kettle rib Jedi. It's because of you, I've been doing ribs on the kettle and not on the WSM. The WSM is too easy, the kettle requires some skill. I've been trying to do a 3 zone kettle cook, I'm going to do like you and just do the two zone cook. I couldn't get one side to light to save my life. I dumped fully lit coals on the side that wouldn't light 3 times, and it never did catch until I pulled the ribs off.

Thank you everyone else for the kind comments. I was really happy with these ribs. They had great crust, they came off the bone clean, and extremely tender. Without a doubt my favorite kettle ribs, and maybe my best ribs, including those cooked on the WSM

You are too kind Chuck. Thank you for the compliment! You should be happy with those ribs. They were perfect! Once you learn to control the heat its easy to make your kettle a great outdoor oven with which you can make any barbecue style that exists!

Bang-on ChuckO!
I wish they still made those daisey-wheel lower bowls, so easy to control the temps.

Back