Kettle Pizza - One man's method

We finally had some decent garden tomatoes and herbs last night so we broke out the Kettle Pizza. Below is my method as I've refined it over the past couple years. This board has been a great learning tool for me on this so I'm always open for some shared wisdom.

The Kettle Pizza is a great tool if you love the process of trying to replicate Neapolitan style wood fired pizzas without a true wood fired oven. It is also temperamental and tricky and this process is fairly involved so it's not for everyone.

Before I start anything I put my pizza stone in the oven in the house and heat to 500*. I leave in until I'm ready to cook outside.

I like to start in the Kettle with a small base of KBB covered in a large pile of lump. The bigger the lump chunks the better. I use the base of KBB because I think it extends the life of the fire. I can't prove that and it might be a figment of my imagination but I believe it anyway.

tumblr_od40qaxgOJ1s2qn3uo1_250.jpg

Once that is burning with an open flame I pile it all to one side. I typically use the side of the Performer with the gas assist in case I need a little push later on in the cook.

tumblr_od40qaxgOJ1s2qn3uo2_250.jpg

I let that burn a while longer until the coals are gray and red hot. Then I take a log of hardwood and put it on top of the fire. I used to use chunks because they are cheaper and easier to find but they do not provide as much heat and they certainly don't burn as long. This is a mesquite "mini-log" I found at Home Depot sold by Brinkman. It was dense as heck and burned great. Do not under any circumstances use chips. They burn way too fast and you'll have nothing but smoke.

tumblr_od40qaxgOJ1s2qn3uo3_250.jpg

This is where it gets weird but I think there's a method to the madness. You can see in the previous pic I have one grill on the floor of the Kettle Pizza that is the stock Weber hinged grate. I put that in the grill upside down so the hinged grate hangs open in the back. You could also just take the hinged parts off. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Having the grate on this way allows me to push additional logs back across the pizza stone and onto the fire as needed. Then I place another grill on the top of the Kettle Pizza to serve as the "ceiling." On that grate I pile up some cheap unglazed tiles I bought for about .25 a piece and the fragments of an old broken pizza stone. The idea here is that I want to create some thermal mass above the cooking floor. This is a principle of wood fired ovens that I'm trying to recreate where you have heat stored up in the stone to cook the pie from bottom up, but also heat radiating down on to the pie from the roof to create all those great crispy bits on top. I also put a couple tiles on that bottom grate for the pizza stone to sit on later. I think this little bit of insulation helps from scorching the bottom of the pizzas later in the cook.

tumblr_od40qaxgOJ1s2qn3uo4_250.jpg

It sounds involved but that whole process probably takes me just under a half hour. Once I have the structure cobbled together I let the wood burn maybe another 10 or 15 minutes to get some of the smoke out. While that happened I put some garden tomatoes in a grill pan and quick roasted them for the pizza sauce.

tumblr_od40p3L7Fo1s2qn3uo10_250.jpg

I brought down the hot pizza stone and slid it in the kettle. I had some leftover pizza dough so I made a couple garlic knots and pepperoni rolls. They went in first, mostly for me to check my heat. These took about 5 minutes.

tumblr_od56krGjM01s2qn3uo1_500.jpg

Then it was time for the first pie. This was rosemary from the garden along with a little pecorino and parmesan. We had this pizza the first time when we went to Napa last year. Comes out salty and herby and awesome. This one took just under 4 minutes to cook. I basically put it in and quarter turn it every minute. The timing isn't exact. You just have to eyeball it.

tumblr_od40p3L7Fo1s2qn3uo5_250.jpg

Next up were a couple margaritas. We do these a bit different now in that when we have a fresh tomato sauce we put the cheese on first and then the sauce on top. I think this helps keep the dough from getting soggy and gets the sauce even a little more roasted. Not traditional but what the heck. It tastes great.

tumblr_od40p3L7Fo1s2qn3uo3_250.jpg

My ideal in this whole setup is to get a lot of clean burning flame running in the back off the unit to the point that the flames hit that ceiling I created and lick forward toward the opening of the Kettle Pizza to draw in air. This licking forward helps crisp the top of the pies. This is my attempt at capturing what it looks like.

tumblr_od40p3L7Fo1s2qn3uo2_250.gif

I took this temperature reading of the stone after I cooked 4 pies. The unit had been running at full cooking temperature for maybe about 40 minutes. It's hard for me to get an accurate temp reading of the roof of the cooking chamber but I think I've gotten it up into the low 800's.

tumblr_od40p3L7Fo1s2qn3uo1_250.jpg

Also of note is that your cooking window on this is fairly limited. Once it is burning how I like, and depending on the size and density of the wood I have burning, I can cook pizzas for about 40 minutes. After that I need to slide in another log and give it maybe 15 or 20 mins to burn the smoke off of it. And after about the third pie the pizza stone simply gets too hot and the bottom of the pizzas begin to scorch if I'm not very careful. I need to either get a thicker stone or add more insulation under it. I'm still working on that problem.

So that's my method. Hope it gives someone a good idea as to how to build on it. Thanks for the look!

Those pies look great. I have the same setup on my spare performer. I'm like you refining the process every time we use it. It can be a tricky thing to work with as the fuel, wood and outside environment can really make a big difference.
One thing I did that helped was I took an ash catcher off a 22.5 silver and mounted it under the lid flush with the edge of the lid. The reflected heat cooks the top a bit faster so the bottom of the pie doesn't get over done while waiting for the top to finish.

DSCN4185_zps465xw19q.jpg

One thing I did that helped was I took an ash catcher off a 22.5 silver and mounted it under the lid flush with the edge of the lid. The reflected heat cooks the top a bit faster so the bottom of the pie doesn't get over done while waiting for the top to finish.

DSCN4185_zps465xw19q.jpg

Thanks Rich. I may try that. I'm also talking to a local welding shop to get a 22.5" disc cut of stainless steel or black iron. I am thinking about using that for the roof of the cooking chamber as opposed to the pile of tiles.

Thanks Rich. I may try that. I'm also talking to a local welding shop to get a 22.5" disc cut of stainless steel or black iron. I am thinking about using that for the roof of the cooking chamber as opposed to the pile of tiles.

Great looking pies! The best way to cook pizza is on the grill. I had my nephew cut a 23" piece of steel for the top of my pizzaque system. It works perfect for radiating heat onto the top of the pie.

interesting.. my Father in law did a similar thing in his oven. Used a pizza steel to put the pizza on, but put a pizza stone on the top shelf of the oven just above the pizza. kinda making his own pizza oven.

good idea there Joe, posts like these are where we all get expanded wild thoughts :).

Using something like an extender rack, im sure the same thing can be done using a kettle or a wsm. put the stone on the top shelf, and a stone or a steel on the bottom.. BAM Pizza oven. HHMMMMMMMMM

rb

GREAT post, Joe. I have also had my Kettle Pizza for about 18 months, sometimes it's a lot of fun, sometimes it's very frustrating.

You are spot-on about the need for thermal mass in the ceiling. I tried using heavy duty aluminum foil up there, and I tried using a second pizza stone up there - meh. Then, thankfully, the Kettle Pizza folks solved that. They offer an accessory called the Baking Steel, which is a custom cut of thick stainless steel that fits up there, which both provides thermal mass, and conducts (or radiates??) heat down to the to pof the pie. That has helped me a lot, you might look into that. It's not a cheap accessory, but it works, and I have also used it as a griddle to smash burgers.

Joe, those are some awesome pies and you shared a lot of good info. We all learn from each other and that's the best way. We just have to keep making pizzas till we get it right!!;). Oh man what a great idea.

GREAT post, Joe. I have also had my Kettle Pizza for about 18 months, sometimes it's a lot of fun, sometimes it's very frustrating.

You are spot-on about the need for thermal mass in the ceiling. I tried using heavy duty aluminum foil up there, and I tried using a second pizza stone up there - meh. Then, thankfully, the Kettle Pizza folks solved that. They offer an accessory called the Baking Steel, which is a custom cut of thick stainless steel that fits up there, which both provides thermal mass, and conducts (or radiates??) heat down to the to pof the pie. That has helped me a lot, you might look into that. It's not a cheap accessory, but it works, and I have also used it as a griddle to smash burgers.

Thanks, Jim. I was wondering if you could also use the baking steel as a griddle. I have also been looking at the "ballistic" griddle sold by Craycort. It's a half-circle to fit 22.5" grills. Looks my wife gets to buy me some more grilling gear!

Apparently stainless steel is expensive. I talked to a local welding shop today to see if they could cut me a 22.5" disc to use both as a roof for pizza and flat top grill for burgers. Prices came in almost $300.

Could you find a potter to fire you a big disc? Just wondering of a potter might have some insight as to what clay might suit the application.
There are some pretty clever people out there who just might have an appropriate medium for the job. Or could you cut thin firebrick to fit? That wouldn't be crazy expensive and easily repairable should one break.
The SS is brutally expensive!

Back