Kettle lid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Barnes

TVWBB Pro
Anyone figure out a mod to get the lid o nthe Perf/OTG to slide a little further out of the way? I ahd the accessory holder on my old kettle and it would clear the grate.

I know what you mean, I was wondering the same thing when I got my performer. Its almost on a 45 degree angle, wish it would drop down more.

Perhaps a drastic solution, but I suppose we could remove the lid holder and replace it with the "slide aside" that is designed for use with the One Touch kettles. (I have the same problem you guys are having.).

I wonder also if the problem is the aluminum "strip" through which the metal rod is threaded and screws into the lower part of the kettle? Might some bending / adjusting of this part give more room for clearance?

Pat

Pat,
I thought of that. In fact,I gave my old Kettle away WITH the add-on you mentioned!LOL
I ahte to violate my new Performer. I'll just have to wait and see how agrivating this situation is before I Get serious about mods. I would really prefer to make adjustments to the existng hardware.

Pat - I understand - my Performer is an older model so I don't worry too much about "violating" it! I've lived with the problem since I refurbed my SS Performer last fall, but I have a slide aside left and I may give it a try. If I do, I'll post some pics of the difference. Nice thing about the slide aside is that I've found them on ebay for about $10 and the change isn't permanent - you can always reinstall the original lid holder.

I think we should go the back yard, start cooking something, and study the situation while drinking a beer or three! I'm going to do wings.

Pat

I built my custom performer from a silver one touch. http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...0039023/m/4670015865
I purchased the lid holder from weber and installed it my self. I went to Ace hardware and measered all the holes and then drilled them in my grill. When my lid didnt set at 90 degrees I thought I messed up. Come to find out like you allready know thats is how they designed it. You can take out the bolt at the bottom of the strap and drill a new hole about 3/4 inch lower and it will sit strait. Problem is when you drill that hole it disturbs the finish and rust will start forming on the bare metal. I am sure you could put some primer or something on it to help protect it but you cant duplcate the porcelin finish that weber bakes on. The more you open the lid the more heat you lose. Bottom line is that its easy to do but comes with a cost.
My table is on the left of my kettel and I am right handed. I have no problem standing infront of the grill and flipping burgers using my right hand with the lid in the open postion.
The reason I built mine this way is that is sits on the north side of my house and with the lid on the west side if protects from the wind.

Has anyone else tried Thor's method? I recently stepped up to the Performer, and I kind of miss my slide aside for the clearance.

Gary, if yours is sitting at 45 degrees, make sure the lid isn't catching on the top of the aluminum strap when you drop it in.

Anyone figured out how to keep the rough edge of the aluminum strap from catching the seam of the performer cover?

Hey Jake...well I guess I exaggerated a litlle bit, not a 45 degree angle but...not like the slide aside. I know what you mean about the lid catching, I am always cautious sliding my lid down. Mine is going on 11 years old and has a couple nicks from a previous owner, but I try to avoid as much abuse as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back