Keri C's Apple Juice Brined Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well got the turkey yesterday and now just waiting for the big day. Going to use the Orange pellets on this one. I haven't tried them yet.
icon_smile.gif
Bryan

Hey all, was just at the store checking to see if they had "all-natural" turkeys. I found some by butterball and amish valley that said "100% all-natural", mimimally processed. The package also said that it may contain up to "5% retained water". Is this a natural(non-brined) bird? There is nothing on the packaging that says it contains any kind of a solution or enhanced product, only the retained water thing...

ron

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron F:
Is this a natural(non-brined) bird? ron <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

I'm gonna due our "leftovers" turkey on friday using Keri C.'s apple brine posted here (can't wait). I'm a little concerned about the saltiness (my parents are a little sensitve), so I'm probably only gonna brine it for 12-15 hours instead of a full 24. Then it's going in th WSM with some sugar maple. Nice to have a neighbor that works at a specialty lumber company...

Greg, my favorite thing to brine is the big thick pork chops that get grilled. I saw it in a Cook's Illustrated article, and man, they are fantastic! unbelieveably moist!

Rob

I know this is a little late in the game, but when a 325F to 340F temp. is given, is this at the grill level or the dome?

Thanks in advance,

A.A.

A.A.,

I'm not sure where Keri is measuring her temp, but i'm gonna shoot for 325* at grill level. That should give me around what, 335*-340* at the dome? Check the measuring temps section in the tips and modifications section.

Rob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A. A. Guerra:
I know this is a little late in the game, but when a 325F to 340F temp. is given, is this at the grill level or the dome?

Thanks in advance,

A.A. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shoot for 325 - 350 at the grill. Bryan

Hey Keri,

I'd like to try this with a boneless skinless turkey breast. I'm assuming I can use all the same ingredients. My only question is my mother has already bought an enhanced breast @ 15%. I know thats a lot so would it hurt just to leave the salt out of the brine?

Keri,

I seek a point of clarification:
In the speed brine you refer to the 1 cup to one gallon of liquid for 4-6 hours and no longer.

In the original it calls for 3/4 cup for 24 hours.

I would think the original recipie would be quite a bit saltier than the 4-6 hr brine. I am making a batch of the original but was wondering if you've tweaked this brine at all since the original??

Thanks

Keri,

I am also a fan of cook's Illusrated and usually follow their instructions pretty closly. I was wondering why you choose to brine your turkey for 24 hours.

It seems you have had great success doing so and others have too. I have been brining for years but never more than 14 hours. Does the texture of the meat change with the 24 hours?

I read one of Cris's posts from a while back where he did an apple brined bird for 24 hours and he said it was great...but he wrote recently that he now prefers the standard brine for 12 hours because when he brines for longer the meat gets watery and the texture becomes less than dsirable.

I am just trying to get a concensus on what the difference in taste juciness and texture between the 12 hour brining and the 24. Both with the standard stregth brine.

My brain has been playing ping pong with brining times !!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Al Silverman:

I am just trying to get a concensus on what the difference in taste juciness and texture between the 12 hour brining and the 24. Both with the standard stregth brine.

My brain has been playing ping pong with brining times !!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Al, I'll have a direct comparison for you Friday morning. I'm doing a 14 hour brine of 1 cup diamond crystal to 1 gallon apple juice and a 24 hour brined bone in breast.. Both roasted in the WSM. They'll be compared against a non brined oven roasted stuffing in bird.

A lot of brining recipes call for heating the liquid to dissolve the salt. When you use cold apple juice do you just stir it up good? I’ve never brined anything before and I just want to make sure I didn’t miss something.

Randy D

Randy,

You should be able to dissolve the salt in the cold apple juice with a bunch of stirring (there's a lot of liquid there to dissolve not too much salt and sugar). It goes a lot quicker with a heated liquid. The problem with heating the liquid is that you have to cool it back down to prevent bateria action from happening. When I was a chemistry lab assistant we always heated our solutions to get them to dissolve faster...it also allowed the formations of "super saturated" solutions, which is dissolving more stuff into solution than you normally could. To me it's easier to dissolve the salts and sugar into the cold liquid so I don't have to deal with cooling it back down. Less pots and pans, less cleaning....just keep stirring....

Rob

Me too, Randy. The only problem I have is that I don't have the fridge space to fit the brining vessel in. I figured to just put it in the shed overnight 'cause it's been pretty cold out. Well go figure, it's supposed to be in the low 50's tonight!!! Now I'm gonna have to do the brining vessel in the cooler with ice bags around it. I guess it's not that big a deal, just something else to worry about. Fortunatly, the turkey I'm bbq'ing will be done friday as a "leftover" turkey, so I don't have to worry about dissapointing anyone for the main meal. Still want it to be awesome though....

The other thing I thought of when dissolving salt and sugars in the brine would be to start dissolving the solids with the largest grain size first. For me that would be the kosher salt followed by brown sugar followed by white sugar....

Good luck to ya,

Rob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rob D.:
Me too, Randy. The only problem I have is that I don't have the fridge space to fit the brining vessel in.

Rob <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guys, Have you thought about using an ice chest and some ice? Sometimes I use a contractor size trash bag, place it in a cooler then line the top and bottom with ice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Now I'm gonna have to do the brining vessel in the cooler with ice bags around it. I guess it's not that big a deal, just something else to worry about. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got it under control, Rob, just being lazy about having to do it.....

Sorry, didn't mean to snap back, maybe I have some pre holiday cooking stress...can't wait to get out of work, get the brining going, and have some mexican whiskey....

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back