Keeping pulled pork warm

Tony R

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I have a question my grilling and bbq friends....

This Monday Maribel is having a Christmas potluck at work and asked me to do pulled pork.

My question is how do I keep it warm using this slow cooker...

Some of you guys saw that I did PP for my daughters party. In those mini slow cookers it had a warm setting.
This slow cooker has high and low.

I was thinking of putting a 2 inch high worth of apple juice on the bottom and putting it on low....

What do you guys think or suggest?

I was thinking also maybe a ring of foil on the bottom put apple juice and put a plate on top of the foil???

In my opinion 2 inches of AJ will be like boiling pulled pork. Maybe I am not understanding what you intend to do.

Pull it as late as possible so it is hot when it goes in, keep it on low/off and keep it moist with water drips or apple juice or the like if you are so inclined.

I'm going to assume that the meat will need to be set to go before going to work. I would pull the meat as late as possible and put it in the pot either just as is, or maybe add just a little AJ. Then when they get to work, plug it in and set to low. It will take quite a while for it to come up to temp. When it does, turn it off. It will stay warm for quite a while and if it drops below 140, plug it back in again. Just be sure to keep the lid on! No peeking or taste testing. Might even send a food thermometer just to be sure that it's kept a safe temps.

Any chance of delivering the crock pot to the workplace just before the potluck begins?

Russ

We do this a lot, just heat with some AJ as you plan. 2 inches sounds like a lot but would need to see it. I would do a half inch then add a little more if/as needed.

If she is taking it in the morning going from cold to lunch should work on low heat. You can crank it up an hour before lunch if needed to get it a little hotter.

Thanks gentleman for the advice. I'm going smoke and pull the the pork until the last possible minute before she leaves to work. Hold in a mini cooler. Have her set up the crock pot and with a splash of AJ on low. Mix it once in a while. She leaves at 7 and lunch Is at 11:45 am

Back