KCBS mandatory refresher training

Mike Shook

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone else completed the KCBS 2022 mandatory judges' training / continuing ed series?

Not to be too hard on them, but I saw absolutely nothing new there* that would address whatever problem they are trying to solve. It almost seemed they are playing defense or something, meaning competition teams are complaining about their scores and KCBS decided to remind everyone how to judge and fill out the sheet? It didn't hurt to see the material, but there were better uses of those two hours or whatever of my time.

Would be interested in anyone else's reaction.

(I did get a kick out of seeing a few guys I know chowing down on ribs!)

* Nothing new, with the obvious exception of the change in the permitted numbers in the scoring range. That, and I guess the legal piece at the end about sexual harassment.

I found the training to be very good. There were not any trick questions and I think some of the guidance was very insightful. It is important to note what is being said we should do but what is no longer being said as well.

Even though I've been a judge for 17 years, I still make mistakes and errors in judgement. I appreciate the effort.

The next step is to figure out which judges are + judges (judges who score above the average) and which judges are - judges (judges who score below the average). Then ensure when you put a table together, the average is as close to zero as possible. I see no problem with that method.

The next step is to figure out which judges are + judges (judges who score above the average) and which judges are - judges (judges who score below the average). Then ensure when you put a table together, the average is as close to zero as possible. I see no problem with that method.
They also need to determine which judges use the entire scoring range rather than just 7,8,9. As we all know, not all teams truly fall into that 7,8,9 range, especially the first timers. That judge using the full scoring range is, more than likely, seen as a low scoring judge. But, if one really looks at the overall direction trends, it make perfect sense.

They also need to determine which judges use the entire scoring range rather than just 7,8,9. As we all know, not all teams truly fall into that 7,8,9 range, especially the first timers. That judge using the full scoring range is, more than likely, seen as a low scoring judge. But, if one really looks at the overall direction trends, it make perfect sense.

Agreed. Looking at my scores vs table average at the double I worked two weeks ago, it is pretty obvious that my tablemates were all leaning toward the high end of the range.

Back