Just got a 22.5 and have fire questions and a bunch of other questions.

Dale Nichols

TVWBB Super Fan
I posted this here even though I am not new to the WSM , I have had the 18 for about ten years. But I am new to the 22 and it looks like a different animal it's so huge. :)
This post might be a little long but I will get most of my questions out of the way all at once. Back in 03 the Minion method using half a chimney on top, using Kinsford blue got you 12-15 hours rock steady at 225. I used it for everything 6 hour cooks or 15 it did not matter so I never tried anything else. It worked just fine.

1.Now I hear the new Kingsford blue is different and does not burn as long. True or false? And is Kingsford, Stubbs or Royal Oak all about the same? I always used Kingsford.

2.Do I treat the 22 the same way? What I mean by that is the snake,C or fuse was not around then. What is it used for? Low short cooks? Why not the Minion again?

3.This is new to,the Minion with the tin can? What for?

4.Back in 03 you had two choices, water in the the pan or sand that's it. Now you can go no water, just a clay saucer wrapped in foil for a heat sink or just a foil lined dry pan. Is this for better bark and easy clean up? If so I am all for that. I did watch and talk to Terri Hooks last weekend who posts here from time to time and does very well in comp's (in Georgia) and he uses water. I thought I would add that while I thought about it.

5. Using the 18 inch charcoal ring? That is for saving fuel for short cooks right?

6. My 22 has a definite welded seam all the way down the center section that you can see real easy,do they all? My 18 is smooth you can not see any seam.

7. Terri also said that the hinge for the lid is one of the best mod's I could do. How is everybody like like it?

I know all these questions are personal preference but your opinion is valued. I have been out of the circle for so long I want to get up to speed again and read almost every post every day right now. Just like the old days. Getting fired up again!

Last edited:
No, not all charcoal briquettes are the same. Some don't burn as clean. Some can eventually choke themselves on their own ash. Some last longer than others. I'd suggest trying different ones. But regarding the Weber cookers, don't overthink it based on what you hear or read on the internet. Both are WSM cookers, just one is bigger than the other and yes, has a seam. I don't think you have to cook that differently for either of them, though. I don't. Your basic MM with a partial chimney works great for either. Getting nit picky, the 18" wsm's water pan is a lot closer to the fire, but I wouldn't want the pan any closer to the fire in my 22". Both are water smokers, and both produce a good amount of added humidity as long as you have a fire keeping the pan steaming hot. As for the bark, you can get good bark with water, but you can get better bark without it. There's other things to consider, though...Get cooking and learn what works for you.... And YES, the Unknown hinge is the BEST mod I've ever made to my cookers.

When is the fuse method used? I thought I read that the 225 range hard to obtain with the 22. And what kind of cook times do you get with it?

If im not mistaken the fuse method is when you arrange unlit coals around the perimeter of your fire ring and using a foil fire stop and leave a gap. Then you add lit coals to the non foil side and it burns around the ring like a fuse. I do it in my 18.5 kettle and get 8 hours at 250.

When is the fuse method used? I thought I read that the 225 range hard to obtain with the 22. And what kind of cook times do you get with it?

I own 22" model and have had no problem targeting temps 225-250 using standard MM. About 30 coals grey and hot added to charcoal ring full of KBB. I also run with pan empty and just foiled. I just keep in mind when coming up to temp the ol saying that it is always easier to bring temp up then to try and cool things down after over shooting. I would adjust number of hot coals based off weather conditions. Never tried fuse method on mine. I guess I feel like its a lot of extra work sitting there stacking all the briquettes.

The 22.5 does use a little more fuel but then again it's a larger cooker. Yes, the 18" ring is usually used for shorter cooks but once you get more familiar with the 22 you may not use it as much but it does help keep the coals from spreading out and burning faster when the 22 ring isn't comepletely full. I don't really have that big of a problem with ash choking out my fire, I usually give the legs a tap a couple of times during a long cook which usually knocks off any ash, granted there is still a nice pile in the bottom of the cooker when finished but I've never had a problem even with Kford blue

About Q #3 IMO the tin can Minion Method helps to control T to lower level.
I usally set the tin can m.m. In this way

IMG_5267 di BBQness, su Flickr

its important that the can stays right in front the vent. This allows you to perfectly control the T.

About Q #3 IMO the tin can Minion Method helps to control T to lower level.
I usally set the tin can m.m. In this way

IMG_5267 di BBQness, su Flickr

its important that the can stays right in front the vent. This allows you to perfectly control the T.

Enrico, great tip. Thank you. I usually place can in middle of charcoal. Looks like your idea might make air control more accurate and might even extend burn time. I'll definitely give this a try on my next cook.

Back