Just a little out of round

ChadB

TVWBB Member
Somebody please tell me to chill out. I just picked up a new WSM 22.5". Went to put lid on for the first time and it was a difficult to put on. Had to "angle" it on (put back side of lid down first and squeeze front side in). Really bothered me at first. I have now learned that with the lid turned slightly (the front handle rotated to 4 o'clock position) lid goes on much easier with little to no need to manipulate things. No gaps big enough once lid is on to allow for unwanted air flow that I can tell. Is there anything I need to do here? Is this even really that big of a deal? I have a little OCD when it comes to these things and just want it perfect I guess.

. Anying I need to be careful of when squeezing?

Yes - a little goes a LONG way. Grab a tape measure and measure the bowl, middle section (top & bottom) and the lid. Measure both N-S and W-E
Once you know the 'long' measurement, gently bear-hug and get it as close to being the same measurement as reasonable. Seriously, within a 1/4" is good to go.
Once you have all 4 within tolerance - you'll live happily ever after. I do with with every kettle and WSM I pick up.

Yes - a little goes a LONG way. Grab a tape measure and measure the bowl, middle section (top & bottom) and the lid. Measure both N-S and W-E
Once you know the 'long' measurement, gently bear-hug and get it as close to being the same measurement as reasonable. Seriously, within a 1/4" is good to go.
Once you have all 4 within tolerance - you'll live happily ever after. I do with with every kettle and WSM I pick up.

What he said ^^^

Thanks guys. Will do. It will be nice to be able to set lid down in any position and not worry about rubbing. Will help my little OCD soul.

Measured today and found the lid was the problem. I guess all along I suspected it to be the middle section, but it measured almost perfectly round. The lid was off almost 1 full inch. One little hug and the problem was fixed. Everything fits together like a charm. Thanks Dwain and Chad.

Glad to hear all is well with your little OCD soul now. :)

Going back to the very first thing your wrote in this thread ----- chill out!

I was cleaning my WSM and tripped and came down slightly with my weight on the top of the middle section. Don't know if I bent anything but I absolutely OCD'd about it, measured it several times and even bear hugged it to get it back in better shape. I'm within 1/8th! So I know how you feel. Did a 15 or 16 hour brisket cook after that. Ate meat and felt better.

Discovered same thing myself yesterday!!! Looks like Weber's Quality Control could be slipping :( Trouble I have is that it looks like both lid & top of centre section are out of round after measuring!!! Weber UK claim that cannot happen unless knocked over (which I know it hasn't in the 3 weeks since purchasing!!!!). Seems like spending £500 on a 22.5" WSM and having to do this is not right IMHO.

Back