Jerk Cornish Hens, sweet potato salad, kale, mango salsa

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
Hey all. A beautiful day here in northern NJ. Nearly 60F and sunny. Warm sun, cool breeze -- we'll take it. It's been a looooong winter.
Charred up the red peppers for the mango/red pepper/habanero salsa.
photo1_zpsb624dc2f.jpg

I had picked up four local, free-range Cornish hens here and marinated two of them in a Thai gai yang marinade (to be eaten later in the week) and the other two in a Jamaican jerk marinade for tonight. (yes, four -- that's what happens when you food shop on an empty stomach).
photo2_zpse2283f71.jpg

Organic sweet potatoes were steamed until just tender, then briefly grilled for flavor. A bunch of scallions went on the grill right after for the warm sweet potato salad. Good stuff.
photo1_2_zps551ac141.jpg

photo2_2_zpsbaf1ebc4.jpg

A little red kale sautéed with onion, garlic, and cajun seasoning.
photo1_3_zpsd8aadc15.jpg

Chicken looks about ready, 170F in the thighs.
photo2_3_zps90d367fe.jpg

And we're good to go. Both the jerk marinade (with two minced habaneros) and the mango salsa (1/4 minced hab, plus one jalapeno) were plenty picante. Gringo en el fuego! Tasted like a sunny day.
Thanks for stopping by.
DSC_0357_zps2b8c4dd5.jpg

Beautiful meal Gary.

I like the sweet potato salad, this is on my to do list.

photo2_2_zps91dcae01.jpg

Thank you very much for the sweet potato salad recipe Gary, going on a snowboard trip to Mammoth/June Mtn. in a few weeks
and this will be a good side dish.

Man, you guys on the east coast sorely needed that break from that harsh winter!! I'm glad it finally warmed up so you were able to actually enjoy being outside for any more than a few minutes!

Thanks for sharing.

Barret

Back