Jealously sets in... I'm BUYING a stoker

Curtis

So - after many months of smoking on my WSM, I've decided it's time to get a stoker system.

I'm looking at Rock's Basic System Plus for my 18.5" WSM. It looks like it comes with the 5CFM blower - is that enough or should I upgrade to the 10?

Also, what is the latest version of StokerLog I should download to get started.

Is there an all-in-one thread that's for beginners in the stoker world? Thanks to all!

I always wanted a 10 CFM fan for my BGE. When I built a Stumps Clone, cook chamber size 36 x 24 x 22, I upgraded to a 10 CFM fan and have found it to be extreme overkill even for the clone. At this point I shelved the 10 CFM and use the 4 CFM fan that originally came with my unit and find it to perform more than satisfactory. I personally would spend the extra $$ on something else.

Try this version for stokerlog: http://amir-views.com/downloads/Setup2_5posfix.msi

As to start-up tutorial, I wish there was a way to make a sticky thread and then we could make one.

For now, this would be my list:

1. Configure the stoker for static address so that it doesn't change all the time. If your PCs are say, 192.161.1.1, set the stoker to a high number such as 192.161.1.88. Then open the browser using that number with http:// in front of it.

Using the browser, associate the probe with the blower. Set the target temp above your room temp to see if the blower comes on. Bring it back down to see it go off.

Then plug in the rest of the probes and fire up stokerlog. Name your probes. And then play around as above in stokerlog. Hold the food probes in your hand and see stokerlog temps go up. Let go and they should cool off to room temp, etc.

Do all of the above inside your home and before your first cook! That way, you become familiar with everything before the critical time.

I use a 5 CFM fan for each of my Stump's GF 222 CM, my Stump's Tailgater and my WSMs. Yes, three different 5 CFM fans. Never had a problem on any of them, well, except when the connections get soaking wet, but that usually effects the probes more than the fans.

BOB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Curtis:
So - after many months of smoking on my WSM, I've decided it's time to get a stoker system.

I'm looking at Rock's Basic System Plus for my 18.5" WSM. It looks like it comes with the 5CFM blower - is that enough or should I upgrade to the 10?

Stay with the 5. I use the 5 on two drums, which are the same size about as a WSM 22. John will probably recommend a 5 as well. He did that for me. Be sure to get the longest fan cable you can. There are no extensions for the fans, only the probes.
Also, what is the latest version of StokerLog I should download to get started.

Is there an all-in-one thread that's for beginners in the stoker world? Thanks to all! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the replies. Definitely makes me feel comfortable about my choice.

Amir- thanks for the link. I am continually amazed about the dedication have to this interest. I downloaded the software and cannot wait to give it a go!

I'm sure more questions will come. Thanks again!

Back