jealous devil lump

David-B

TVWBB Super Fan
worth the price? just bought some for $30- 20lb bag to try out doing pork butts today ...Im not super picky but mostly use royal oak-cowboy-kingsford- b&b ...the jealous devil looks to be more consistent in "chunk" sized pieces and not a big variety of shapes and sizes compared to royal oak, some times royal oak has pieces that look like they came from a cabinet shop which doesnt bother me

Generally speaking I prefer briqs over lump because so many brands have good size pieces but are at the mercy of whoever handles them, rendering lots of small pieces that cause issues. That said, I too bought JD on a whim and have been pleased. One of the biggest take seats is it doesn’t spark the way B&B lump, Fogo or others. I have not seen any of the usual small pieces in my bag. I don’t know that I’ll continue to buy it, maybe once in a while, but I do feel I got value out of it. It does burn hot when I want it and lasts for long cooks.

Generally speaking I prefer briqs over lump because so many brands have good size pieces but are at the mercy of whoever handles them, rendering lots of small pieces that cause issues. That said, I too bought JD on a whim and have been pleased. One of the biggest take seats is it doesn’t spark the way B&B lump, Fogo or others. I have not seen any of the usual small pieces in my bag. I don’t know that I’ll continue to buy it, maybe once in a while, but I do feel I got value out of it. It does burn hot when I want it and lasts for long cooks.
yeah I cant quite say yet that the cost is justified

I just don't find lump that appealing. It gets too broken up with all the handling even the "good" brands. Briquettes seem to do way better to me and are more controllable with a good steady burn.

I'm not a lump person either; it's too difficult to get consistent cooks without hot spots. I also bought a bag of JD on a whim (thanks to Harry Soo's yt videos) & so far, I like it. It smells good on start-up, doesn't spark & seems to last a long time. I've done several hh cooks already & close the vents when done. So far, I've been having to add "1 coals-thickness" layer to the old coals in the baskets, then re-light. That means I'm getting 4-5 cooks per layer - not bad.
I haven't had a chance to do a low & slow cook yet...

Ive now gone through a bag of lump, not bad and it will definitely get hot. Kinda expensive , pieces in the bag I got seemed pretty dense but I doubt I will purchase it on a regular basis .

Back