It's pizza time!!!

You know I like pizza night, Michael! Looking GOOD!!!! Beats delivery by a country mile!

R

Oh yeah! Picked up some 00 flour on my recent Costco run and am itching to try pizza on the SmokeFire.

How hot, how long, and how much. Send me some dough. I will send you some back.
Tony,
I use this recipe from @Rich G. I made the dough on Sunday night and then made the pies last night. Most times it gets a one day rest, but sometimes a two day rest.
For the kettle, I create a nice C shape base of new JD lump charcoal and then add a whole lit chimney of JD. Place the lit charcoal on top of the unlit. I place the pizza stone on top of one of my vortex to raise the height so the top of the pie gets the heat from the top of the kettle. I then give the charcoal, kettle, and pizza stone 45 mins to an hour to heat up. The temp gauge is pegged and probably somewhere around750 or higher. Once it is that hot pies start to go and it is about 4 max 5 minutes in total. 2 minutes, 180 spin, another 2 minutes and should be done. With that much charcoal and heat I have been able to do 10 pies before the temps start dropping.

You know I like pizza night, Michael! Looking GOOD!!!! Beats delivery by a country mile!

R
Rich,
I have to share, one of the unintended consequences of following you guidances with learning to make pizza is that it had made it hard for me to enjoy most takeout pizzas. I can hardly eat them anymore. Some nights we just need a quick pizza for dinner and keep going, but man it is hard because it just isn't even close to what we can pull off the kettle.

Rich,
I have to share, one of the unintended consequences of following you guidances with learning to make pizza is that it had made it hard for me to enjoy most takeout pizzas. I can hardly eat them anymore. Some nights we just need a quick pizza for dinner and keep going, but man it is hard because it just isn't even close to what we can pull off the kettle.
I'm in the same boat, Michael! Then again, with what a take out pizza costs these days, it's a win/win to make your own.....just need a little pre-planning (or frozen dough for those game day decisions!) :)

R

Even the most basic pizza you make yourself is better than store bought. Delivery pizza in NJ is a whole different ballgame, we are blessed with a lot of great pizza shops.
Still love homemade pies though.

As a deep-dish pizza maker of yore, thin wood-fired is a fave
Sauce, cheese, neither are all good recipes. Perfect dough, that is key

I absolutely love homemade pizza night.
If I want to have frozen pizza dough in the freezer do I need to modify or tweak the recipe?

Even the most basic pizza you make yourself is better than store bought. Delivery pizza in NJ is a whole different ballgame, we are blessed with a lot of great pizza shops. Still love homemade pies though.

So true. How I miss the pizza, bagels, and White Castle.

Totally.

As a native New Yawker, my life was massively improved when a guy from Bergen County (known here locally as Josh the bagel dude) moved to Denver and opened up a very legit (i) bagel shop, (ii) Italian deli, and (iii) NY pizza shop. Core to the effort was spending $$$$$ to create a system that mimics the chemical profile of NYC water!

The wink wink name of his pizza shop tells you he knows what he's doing -- Famous Original J's. God bless him!!!

Even the most basic pizza you make yourself is better than store bought. Delivery pizza in NJ is a whole different ballgame, we are blessed with a lot of great pizza shops. Still love homemade pies though.

So true. How I miss the pizza, bagels, and White Castle.

Totally.

As a native New Yawker, my life was massively improved when a guy from Bergen County (known here locally as Josh the bagel dude) moved to Denver and opened up a very legit (i) bagel shop, (ii) Italian deli, and (iii) NY pizza shop. Core to the effort was spending $$$$$ to create a system that mimics the chemical profile of NYC water!

The wink wink name of his pizza shop tells you he knows what he's doing -- Famous Original J's. God bless him!!!
So funny - I grew up in Bergen County NJ. Whenever I plan on getting to that area I make sure the freezer has room and bring a large trash bag to bring home a Crave Case, and a dozen bagels. Also plan for a pizza at LA Bella Roma Pizzeria in Paramus.

Back