It's Friday, Who's Cooking What?

Lee A

TVWBB Member
I'll start...

We're having about 15 people over tomorrow night for some Q. I know I'm overcooking but I plan on a lot of this going into the freezer.

So tonight 25lbs of butts are going on the bullet (4 butts between 5 and 6 lbs each) and those are smoking all night. Tomorrow at noon they come off and 6 racks of backs go on, dinner's at 6.

This will be my first time for butts and the maiden voyage for my Maverick. Should be fun!

I have 4 butts totalling 39 lbs going on at 4-5 pm today.

They'll be done by midday saturday. Looks like I'll have to navigate through some rain though.

no such luck... wife and I are kid less right now (they are all 3 off visiting gramma and grampa about 700 miles away in AL) and SWMBO is leaving on Sunday to go pick them up and stay down there for a couple weeks... this weekend i'm cooking nothing, but am brewing a batch of beer and two batches of orange blossom honey mead... the 4th however, i get to do my virgin run on the WSM... mmmm cant wait

Sounds great Lee... I would like to do something *edit* along those lines *edit* for my inaugural cookout. My WSM is being shipped from Amazon as we speak, and I'm targeting July 21st for the maiden voyage... I know, it's a ways away, but that's my first free weekend with family and friends. The anticipation is already killing me! One question about the butts... will they be good-to-go as is after sitting (wrapped in foil of course) in the cooler for 6 hours? In my research on this site that's the longest amount of time I've seen for butts to rest.
Thanks.

In the meantime, this weekend I'll have the deep fryer overflowing with wings and the grill filled with burgers.

Mosef, I'm double wrapping them all with foil and tossing them into the oven. The lowest setting it will hold is 170, so holding them there for several hours should be fine. It's above the minimum-safe level of 140 but not so much that they should overcook.

Of course the oven will also have a load of burger buns in there and a few other things. Damn the house is gonna smell good. Can't wait!

Just dry rubbed my 1st brisket put in frige at 4:30 friday afternoon.. Gonna start the bullet 8:30 Sunday mornin..
Aw life is good..One more reason can't wait for the weekends is what we gonna smoke????

Put the 4 big butts on close to 5 pm yesterday.

Checked on them at 5 am, lid temp was at 230 and smelling good. Opened vents slightly.

It's now almost 9 am, 16 hours into the cook, gonna ramp up temps, vents going wide open.....these are big butts (39 lbs)...and are taking a bit more time......

About a 3rd of the lump remains.

Back