ist attempt at smoking on Weber 26.75 kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie Mathews

TVWBB Member
Hi sharpies, the name is Jamie. I've been lurking awhile, this is my 1st post.

Earlier this summer, afetr I realized I like grilling with charcoal, I treated myself to a new Weber 26.75 inch kettle, been grilling with great success.

After reading a few posts here, today I decided to try to do some baby backs low-n-slow. I put some fire bricks about 1/3of the way across the charcoal grate, filled the short side of the grate (behind the bricks) with a bunch of unlit briquettes, then topped off with 8 lit. I also foiled the remaining 2/3 of the charcoal grate (read about that here) and filled a small foil pan with water, out that on the cooking grate above the charcoal. After about 30 minutes, the dome thermometer seemed locked in at 300, so I put 3 chunks of apple on the pile, and threw on the ribs.

Here's my first question. 2 hours into the cook, the dome thermometer is right at 300. I bought a disc-shaped thermometer (maybe 4 inches across) to put on the cooking grate, so I'd know what the temp is there. 2 hours into the cook, that thermometer says 185. Is it possible that the cooking grate (seperated from the coals by the firebricks ansd water pan) is really 115 degrees cooler than the dome?

The ribs do look like they're cooking.

I didn't take pics, I'll do that next.

Thanks for all the tips.

22.5 WSM might be next on my list, but I love seeing what the kettle can do. I just can't believe the huge difference in temp.

Thanks, the grill is in direct sun (it's about 85 degrees here today. Also, I had the cooking grate therm. way off to the "side" of the cooking grate,not really in the same heat zone as the coals or the meat. When I put the therm between the ribs and the lit coals, it showed a temp of 260 degrees, exactly 40 degrees less than the dome. I think that makes sense.

Ribs are at the 3 hour mark. I have rotated and flipped 3 times, each time they got a squirt of apple juice mixed with a bit of rub.

The ribs are starting to come down off the bone a bit. Not quite passing the tear test yet, I'd say another 30 minutes.

2 racks of baby backs, about 5 pounds of smoked pork goodness, with several ice cold lagers and ales just waiting to join them in my belly.

Thanks again to all the experts here.

How'd they come out, Jamie?

Assuming your vents were open at least partially, 300-ish sounds about right, based on your setup. Not sure why you were getting such a low reading on that side of the grate. But I agree with Albert - the sun can have an impact on that outside reading.

JimK, thanks for asking, they came out just awesome. Perfect smoke ring, perfect smoky flavor.

I had the bottom vent closed 100%, and the top vents open about 25%. The dome therm stayed locked at 300 for 7 hours (long after I took the ribs off).

I think the cooking grate therm was set too far off to the side and even a little behind the ribs, so it wasn't the temp that the ribs were exposed to. I'll check that disc therm in my kitchen oven this week.

Anyway, I thiught it was incredibly easy to maintain that temp for 7 hours (and it could have gone longer, but I added a chimney of lit so that I could grill some burgers). I like the prospect of the WSM, but for ribs at least, I don't see how the WSM could be easier than the kettle with the firebrick/foil/waterpan setup.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jamie Mathews:
Here's my first question. 2 hours into the cook, the dome thermometer is right at 300. I bought a disc-shaped thermometer (maybe 4 inches across) to put on the cooking grate, so I'd know what the temp is there. 2 hours into the cook, that thermometer says 185. Is it possible that the cooking grate (seperated from the coals by the firebricks ansd water pan) is really 115 degrees cooler than the dome?

The ribs do look like they're cooking.

I didn't take pics, I'll do that next.

Thanks for all the tips.

22.5 WSM might be next on my list, but I love seeing what the kettle can do. I just can't believe the huge difference in temp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If your dome thermometer is directly over the coals, it will read much higher than the grate temp on the other side of the fire bricks.

Jamie, you will have temperature differances in the kettle hotter near the fire and at the top of the lid. If you can regulate 280 deg +/- 25 deg on the lid themometer that will be perfect for most smokes.
You said you have a 22" WSM on the radar. Since I got my 26 incher I have not used my 22" WSM. I love my 26 incher, I think it is the most versatile grill/smoker out there.

Jamie, I target 300° on my therm (performer, not 26.75"OTG) & have been happy with the results. I have checked mine a few times with an oven therm, and at the grate I get near 250°. Some advice on the oven therm... don't leave it in in heavy smoke for long periods of time, it is hard to clean off all that smoke buildup and then you won't be able to read the dial. I also suspect that the smoke finds it's way into the metal winding on the back and gunks up. The therm won't last too long if used continuously in a smoker environment. Clean well after each use.

Albert, you mention that the temp gauge could be in a better location. My performer has this same setup as the 26 3/4" and I am happy with the location. I make sure I put my vent holes directly opposite the coals, and the therm is then halfway between the coals and vent. I would be interested to know where a better location would be as I have only had my performer a few months. I used a OTS for years, but it has no therm. TIA

Brad

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Albert Adato:
For smoking the ideal location for a more precise reading is opposite the fire where the vent is and right above the meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Albert, I will give this a try and carefully monitor the different temps in the different areas. I will also verify the therm accuracy with the boiling water.

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back